Thread: Eating what you trap

Default Eating what you trap

I'm new to trapping and am planning to set out traps this weekend for marten. I was just wondering because I have never heard anything about marten meat. Is it any good? Does anyone eat them? Just curious.

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Default No

No one that I know of eats marten, I know I never have. Marten doesn't even make very good bait.

Ted
    Pass it on, take a child hunting, fishing or trapping.

sure why dont you try it and let us know...lol

I agree, try it and report back.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

thats a big negative I dont think I will be the first to venture into that territory..sounds like i got my answer

The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Wink Marten meat

In certain parts of the world muskrat is considered a delicacy. Marten half to be a cut above that. Come on be a leader and check it out for us.

my grandfather used to eat muskrat sandwiches. don't know exactly how my grandma prepared them. I always said yuck, somewhere around 8 he snuck one in and me and told me later what it was. It was good I can't go back and say it wasn't. My grandfather grew up real poor, so even after he started making money and hoarding it (he owned a gas station in a small town) he made the most of everything. Small town gas station owned by an old man that would help anybody = deer, rabbits, ducks and fish daily. I would come back from fishing and he would have more than I did. So in that house I have eaten muskrat, snapping turtles, raccoons, frogs, eels and all the regular game. Up here I have had lynx, couldn't find a porcupine this year but saw a thread on it here so we were gonna smoke it and then slow cook it. I'll give marten a whirl if I get to one that hasn't been frozen with the guts in it for a long time.

The only things I've ever seen that will eat a skinned carcass of a marten is a wolverine, an eagle, or a raven.

Default Trappers Delight!!

Don't be skerred! Martin, and Mink (not much meat) aint no differant than coon. Beaver is good too..I have eaten all the above and no complaints. Not much for yotes or fox but Ive tried em. Never tried Lynx but had bobcat once back home in a stew and I cant imagine itd be much differant. It wasnt all that bad either. Prefer the prefer the veggie eaters over omnivours and carnivours but to each their own.

I would probably try it if I could catch one of the little critters........haven't had much luck yet.

Default other white meat

heard lynx isn't bad my buddy wants to grill some up, first one we can collect.
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

good luck...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

lynx is excellent. We fry it with butter and garlic. Cooks up like pork it is very tasty

come here kitty kitty
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Lynx is pretty good. I browned it and then put it in stew.

I bit one's head off frozen once, it wasn't too tastey.

Kusko sent you a PM

Default Marten Mike

Years ago a trapper got stranded on his line out on the West Coast of POW and had to eat the Martens he was catching ..... he was known by Marten Mike for many years .... LOL

I don't think I could eat Marten, Wolf, Mink or Otter unless I absolutely had to.

I tried a young kit Beaver once and it tastes like you would expect Beaver to taste... not that good.