Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Studded Track, lugs, or none at all?

Default Studded Track, lugs, or none at all?

Doing a little bit of everything lakes, on, off trail, deep powder, etc and was wondering which option is best for a Arctic Cat Bearcat?

Default track

If you are doing off trail and deep powder I would go for a 1.25" track. Versatile and economical. Is that a 156" track?

Thumbs up

I agree, the 1.25" track would be fine for what you are doing. The extra long track will help out in the deep stuff. If you do much on ice or hardpacked trails, I would put 50 or so studs in just for good measure. It is nice to be able to move after stopping on the ice as well as keep her straight when crossing it!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

What do you think about the small studs in the lug? in Comparison?

Quote Originally Posted by truth2ak View Post
    What do you think about the small studs in the lug? in Comparison?
    I think your talking about the carbide screws. I have an 06 bearcat 660 turbo with them in and so far I cannot complain at all. They give great traction and are easy to replace if necessary. I think I am going to do my wifes 550 RMK as well. I have heard that they may shorten track life some and my also pull out from time to time, but I have not talked to anyone that could prove that.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

The only problem I have seen after putting them in the tips of the paddles is when they don't clear the tunnel. On the Bearcat, you shouldn't have a clearance problem though. They would be easier/cheaper than studding the track with picks, but they won't last as long or be quite as effective. Anything would be a help on the ice though.

I am thinking about putting screws in my wheeler tires for the winter.
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

If you plan on adding Kold Kutters to a 20" x 156" track figure on about 250 studs. They're worth their weight in gold when on an icy hill or coming around a turn and hitting smooth frozen overflow. If you don't put enough in you'll just pull them out from track spin. I've used Kold Kutters on two different sleds for the past three seasons and haven't lost a single screw and haven't damaged a single paddle. Some Arctic Cat tracks have paddles that taper too thin for adding screws. I had one on a Polaris. I switched to a factory studded Ice Ripper track. Kold Kutters are better! Take a good look at your track before you buy. If you add them make sure to get the correct length. Installation is easy. Pull the bit out of your cordless screwdriver's tip and the tip will fit the Kold Kutters perfectly. Set the clutch so you DON'T SPIN THE SCREWS OUT!

Thumbs up They Work!

I have Kold Kutters on a 05 Bearcat. For grooming trail they worked out great. After 10,000 mile the track was shot but the screws still held up! I put about 125 in a 156 Track!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Default Studs vs GOLD

Let's see, studs are $2 each. If you aren't riding on smooth lakes, you probably won't ever miss them, and like they said previous, all those extra holes are just shredding your track early. If you ever like to spin your track, save the time and just throw a hand full of cash into the bushes.

250 Kold Kutters run about $25-$30 depending on the length. Don't under rate these little critters. They work great.

http://www.koldkutter.com/catalog/

Question Never used screws before

That's cheap! So do you put short screws into the tips of the paddles, or do you use long screws to get purchase down into the track? Ever have screws collide with heat exchangers? I am interested in trying these out! I pulled down onto Kroto Creek yesterday and it was so slippery that it took me 5 minutes to get back onto the snow. Studs would have been nice!

Tips of the paddles. I use whatever length I need to have the threaded shaft take up as much of the paddle as possible without penetrating the belt. I've never had or heard of any conflict with heat exchangers. I'd suggest you pay attention to where your exchangers are and mount the screws to avoid them. You have control of where to put them. I have several friends who use Kutters. No issues. No track failures.

Snowmobile Salvage is where I've bought them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jktimm View Post
    .......and like they said previous, all those extra holes are just shredding your track early. .....

I have to disagree with you here.... I "ported" my track a few years ago (700 RMK) and haven't seen ANY excess wear on it. I drilled 4 - 7/8" and 1 - 1 1/2" holes between each set of lugs on my 136" track which is WAY more damage than a few studs would do. It lightened up the track, helps with snow transfer to the radiator, and also keeps excess snow from building up in the skid. The track stretched a little when I first did the mod, but I tightened it back up and it has been fine ever since. This track had about 3000 miles on it when I ported it and now it is well over 4000 with no problems.
    AKmud

[quote=Trail Boss;367166]I have Kold Kutters on a 05 Bearcat. For grooming trail they worked out great. After 10,000 mile the track was shot but the screws still held up! I put about 125 in a 156 Track!

What length KK's did you use?

Thumbs up KK!

1/2 Inch seem to work well!!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Default I love my Studs

My own experince is a dislocated shoulder from overflow ice and it's know fun. ever sense I have keep some kind of studs on my track and don't have any more spin arounds and high sides from catching the powder.

Default I just "screwed" my track

last night! I had a box of 250 and probably used about 215 of them. I have a trail RMK with the 136 track. My track is in bad shape with some lugs ripped off, but those screws will surely add the traction I need on both overflow and climbing hills. I used screws in my 6 wheeler one fall, but most of them came out in the first 50 miles.

Does anyone know if you need to install wear bars on the tunnel if you use screws/studs. Or do the new machines have enough clearance to prevent interaction. Or does it really matter if they "hit" occasionally.

How would I decide what length to use?
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Default Are you talking screws?

If you are talking screws, I think you can get them in 1/2" or 5/8". The heads aren't any bigger on either. I went with the 5/8" with my 1.25" lugs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast