Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rabbit headshot

Default rabbit headshot

so there we were. in the thick of the fir trees. them rabbits aint going much farther from their dens now that is gettin a bit cooler out. i came up and seen em just a sittin. he turned his head as i pulled my trigger. blew that darn tasty critters head clean open.

just when ya think that was it. his body starts twitching and legs all a going....floppin around like a fish out of water. that rabbit actually worked his way somewhat back into that der hole in the ground.

i was 26 yards off and ran up to it. i grabbed the hind legs and gotem out and well youll see the picture. blew out them brains and eyes. all that was left was his ears and teeth. no top of the head at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default okay???

did we really need to see that?

I aim for the head all the time. I've seen worse.

What caliber did you use?

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Shot one with my .220 swift at about 50 yards in the head. It was gone.

Carl

Default .17 hmr

I did that with my Ruger a few years back with a ballistic tip @ about 20 feet, nothin left but a floppy piece of cheek skin with part of a lip and an ear attached! Pretty gross, but very impressive for such a little bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff156 View Post
    Wasn't that bad.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

You can do that also with a .22 hollowpoint. I use whatever i have ,,only headshots or I dont shoot.

Funny enough, today my buddy shot a rabbit from maybe 4 feet away with his 12 gauge, hit it perfectly in the neck. The head landed 2 feet from the body perfectly intact with no meat damage to the backstrap or hind legs. One in a million shot for sure.

Question Track Soup

OK, two weekends in a row I take my 12 year old grandson out. Never seen sooo many tracks Should of seen 50 rabbits to the acre. Notta. first time we hit the woods at daybreak. Sunday we hit the afternoon shift.
    youth area on Skilak loop road. Had fresh snow Sunday morning so I thught this should be good. Sign was old. What's wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    OK, two weekends in a row I take my 12 year old grandson out. Never seen sooo many tracks Should of seen 50 rabbits to the acre. Notta. first time we hit the woods at daybreak. Sunday we hit the afternoon shift.
    youth area on Skilak loop road. Had fresh snow Sunday morning so I thught this should be good. Sign was old. What's wrong?
    Roland, you will be most productive in the early morning or right at dark. If it is a full moon then even that may be not be great as they will spend more time out at night. The ones I have hunted will not be in the open at all durring the day. There may be plenty of tracks in the open from them running around at night but you aren't likely to find them there. If there is any thick areas around where you are finding the sign like a line of spruce or something of that nature just work it slowly. When you jump one whistle at it before you make any jerky moves and it will usually look back at you, you should be able to figure out what to do next Good luck!

Default Hunting dusk

Thanks LUJON, as you can see we tried early AM then late PM. Problem could have been the full moon last week. Thanks for your thoughts.

Default New guy

I just wanted to throw in an experience I had while rabbit hunting. I took aim at a rabbit about 20 yards away using the mirror of the truck to lean across and fired my 22. As soon as it hit that rabbit spun around and something flew right back at me and landed on the windshield at a closer look I noticed it was the rabbits eye ball. Pretty crazy I thought. Well I am new to Alaska and live in the anchorage area would really like to get out and shoot some critters either birds, rabbits or predators any info on some good places to go would be nice.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    Thing about tracks.... ONE rabbit makes a TON of tracks in the snow.. I watch them in the yard, running back and forth for no apparent reason, just having fun....I use snares once the snow is deep enough to make them stick to a trail...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default sounds familiar!

i've almost given up on rabbit hunting! i went out to the hay flats area and theres tracks all over but no bunnies to be seen at all. i've walked, i've sat for a while, and i've used a rabbit call (figured a distress call was worth a shot). and nothing at all!

Quote Originally Posted by JeepStew View Post
    so there we were. in the thick of the fir trees. them rabbits aint going much farther from their dens now that is gettin a bit cooler out. i came up and seen em just a sittin. he turned his head as i pulled my trigger. blew that darn tasty critters head clean open.

just when ya think that was it. his body starts twitching and legs all a going....floppin around like a fish out of water. that rabbit actually worked his way somewhat back into that der hole in the ground.

i was 26 yards off and ran up to it. i grabbed the hind legs and gotem out and well youll see the picture. blew out them brains and eyes. all that was left was his ears and teeth. no top of the head at all.
    Head shots rule!!
    Nothin wrong with that photo,thats just the way it is.
    Im getting the itch personally,this fresh snow makes me jumpy.

ak

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    What caliber did you use?

Jon

sorry it took so long......i used my mossberg 500a 12ga with a number 8 feild shot.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff156 View Post

sorry. next time ill post the video of it getting cleaned......lol

Quote Originally Posted by JeepStew View Post
    sorry it took so long......i used my mossberg 500a 12ga with a number 8 feild shot.

Geeeez. 'N' I use number 6 shot

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Quote Originally Posted by fishak77 View Post
    I just wanted to throw in an experience I had while rabbit hunting. I took aim at a rabbit about 20 yards away using the mirror of the truck to lean across and fired my 22. As soon as it hit that rabbit spun around and something flew right back at me and landed on the windshield at a closer look I noticed it was the rabbits eye ball. Pretty crazy I thought. Well I am new to Alaska and live in the anchorage area would really like to get out and shoot some critters either birds, rabbits or predators any info on some good places to go would be nice.
    Here's a tip, read the ADF&G regs about shooting on, from or across a road.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast