Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlin 450 Guide Gun on the way

Default Marlin 450 Guide Gun on the way

I have obtained a 450 Marlin 1895M Guide Gun through a trade and he paid the difference plus two boxes of Hornady ammo. He is 70yrs old it is new in the box Hornady rounds through it and decided he did not want it. Well I DO!!!! I traded my Redhawk . Here is the factory picture and I will be posting a picture of the rifle itself soon.

I wanted a 444 or 45-70 or 450 to use in the swamps behind my place for large boar hogs. I will pick it up Monday.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Congratulations!!!

A Marlin levergun is on my list of wants but it is going to have to wait for a while.

MAybe the 1895SBL will be out by then LOL!!!

Yeah, this will be a lot of fun to develop loads for and surely will put a hog down even in the thick stuff.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I have a 15" Encore barrel in 450 that I was playing with & loved it (although it's going up for sale as I'm geting rid of all my Encore stuff. It's the last). I was getting about 1850 out of 400 gr cast bullets with no pressure signs, but they didn't shoot well. Started playing with a medium load that put Remington 405gr soft points out at about 1675fps & with a bipod would break clay birds all day long at 200 yds. Great round.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Yeah Vance, I am excited about developing a load that my 450 just loves to devour. Been getting all kinds of load data together and I am looking forward to the journey.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Picked it up today

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Looks like a sweetheart!!!
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Talking it's about time

BT, you're sure all over the place, but it's about time you came to your senses. Now you have a real toy to play with. Good luck with that lil' fella. It ought to be fun...can't think of a finer setup than yours for dem hogs.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Quote Originally Posted by Maydog View Post
    BT, you're sure all over the place, but it's about time you came to your senses. Now you have a real toy to play with. Good luck with that lil' fella. It ought to be fun...can't think of a finer setup than yours for dem hogs.
    If I did not like guns I would not be all over the place

Yeah, I get to go to the range Thursday. Maydog, look at my rifle and tell me what you notice different about it. No one has caught it yet
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Maydog, is are two pictures to give you a clue.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I was wondering about thye porting. Doesn't look like standard guide gun to me, but not mag-na-porteither...
    Vance in AK.

Could it be the hammerblock safety has been removed? I could see an old timer that used half cock safeties on lever actions all his life would not be real fond of the newer style hammer block safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm56 View Post
    Could it be the hammerblock safety has been removed? I could see an old timer that used half cock safeties on lever actions all his life would not be real fond of the newer style hammer block safety.
    Storm65 you are good, that is it!!! The hammer block safety has been removed and it is like the old version of safety being at half cock. When I am in those thickets and dealing with 300pound plus boars I don't want to even take the chance that I did not remember or have to think if I did take the cross bar safety off, I just want to pull the hammer back from half cock and start shooting.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Very nice. Is this a kit that could be purchased?

Very nice. Is this a kit that could be purchased?
    Yes it is and I think I have the information on it if any one wants it. I also have a copy of the directions including pictures on how to do it.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

beartooth,
    I have a 450 Marlin GG and love it. Mine came ported from the factory. I shot black bear (19 1/16 skull) this year with it . The bear just crumbled. Great gun

Quote Originally Posted by 450HUNTER View Post
    beartooth,
    I have a 450 Marlin GG and love it. Mine came ported from the factory. I shot black bear (19 1/16 skull) this year with it . The bear just crumbled. Great gun
    Now that is one cool report and also good to hear. Mine came from the factory ported. The only thing different on mine is the Hammer Block Safety is removed using a kit.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Yes Beartooth I would like to have that info. While the bulk of my arsenal are bolt guns, I have a few levers, mostly Sako Finnwolf's. But I do have a couple of 94's and a Marlin 1894 44 Mag, the 94's and Marlin are pre hammerblock safety. I have admired the Guide guns but stayed away because of that safety setup. To be quite honest I feel the best safety is the man behind the weapon.

Default righto

I just read your post and then turned to the two pics and it was like a neon sign. I then scrolled down to reply but Storm beat me to it. I've done the same to my LTD V, plus the heavy duty ejector also. Have fun with that beast.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Storm65, let me dig it up and I will send you the info.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast