Thread: DI vs 4 strokin

Default DI vs 4 strokin

I am starting research for purchase of a 40-50HP outboard. I know nothing at this point about them.....

I would want to use the motor on the Kenai - so that is why I am wanting to stay at 50 or below - and hoping that the HP size restriction won't be changed too terribly soon (for my own obvious personal reasons).

The main use of the motor will be on a cataraft setup - but eventually I will get a hard hull that I would want to alternate the motor to for duck hunting, river fishing, and maybe some short halibut trips.

Any input on DI vs. 4 stroke (do they even make DI on that small of a motor?)...is appreciated.

randy

Tohatsu makes one. http://www.onlineoutboards.com/50hp_...ard_motor.html

210 pounds. Might be an option if weight is a concern.

The F50 is 237 pounds.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default 4strk

I think with an 50 hp engine, 4 stroke is the way to go. I haven't heard anyone talk about the etec 40 or 50 hp to see what they think. I do know if you are fishing all day and backtrolling or dragging or trolling the inlet with the motor on all the time, you want it quiet. The quietest by far is the honda 50hp in my opinion. Ron's Honda in Soldotna usually runs a deal sometime in late winter early spring

Talking

I've run a 40hp Honda, Yamaha, and Etec for work out on the Y-K delta. It sure seems to me that the 40 Honda is the dog of the group while the Etec has the power. The honda is definitely quiet but I wouldn't say that at idle or low speeds. They all seem pretty much the same at low throttle. As for the Honda, it has the least power but reliable.

We have had 3 different Etecs, all first and second year models, that have had lots of trouble. While they definitely have more power than any of the other brands, we have continuously had trouble with them. It is likely a result of bad gas or water in the lines given our remote location, but it sure isn't worth the trouble. When they run they are awesome but they just aren't reliable.

The Yamaha, its got pretty good power, not quiet as good as the Etec but close, and it's been reliable. We've only had it for one season but it never had trouble.

All in all, I'll get another Yamaha when we get another motor, although that Etec sure is fun to drive.

Default high up there

Reliablitly is the most important on my list....having a breakdown is bad enough so that your trip is ruined....being on the Sound in weather possibly - it could be life threatening.....

I like the idea of not having to mess with oil - but power is important also.

The 50's sure are more expensive than I though they were....what ever happened to a hundred bucks a horse?

Ohhh No.....Here we go about motors again.

Honestly, I'm a 4 stroke Honda fan. Honda's a hard motor to beat IMO, but with that said....The e-tec is a great choice for someone looking for a light wieght high output motor.

I know a while back (about a year ago) some of the e-tecs were having problems that were related to the colder Alaskan waters. Something in the sensor I was told by a e-tec rep. when I was looking a buying one.
    I'm sure they have resolved that problem by now.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Don't get me wrong. I do like honda motors, particularly for the reliability. Of the few bigger motors I have been around, the hondas were awesome. I will gladly take a honda or yamaha when I finally get my ocean boat. I just know that of the 3, 40hp motors I mentioned the honda had the least power.

I do know that the 40hp Etecs we had were the early generations and supposedly have gotten better. Contrary to popular opinion, in that HP range they were the heaviest at 250lbs. The Honda was next at somewhere around 220lbs and then the Yamaha at 200lbs. Now when you go up to a 50hp that might change. Just check the specs to find out. I can gaurantee that the Etecs were very heavy. We had to move the motors and boats by snow machine and loading/mounting an Etec is no easy task.

One other point, the honda and yamaha were carberated engines and some have suggested that makes a difference when dealing with poor quality fuel. The Etecs are electronic fuel injection. We are pretty sure our problems mostly resulted from bad gas and water in the gas we get out of the villages on the coast.

Default honda

Here's the honda weight specs (2009 50hp model)

DIMENSIONS

Recommended Transom Height (L) 508 mm/20 inches
    (X) 635 mm/25 inches

Dry Weight Tiller (PPT) (L) 96.5 kg - 212 lbs.

Dry Weight(PPT) (L) 93 kg - 205 lbs.
    (X) 97.5 kg - 214 lbs.

I didn't even know that the etech FI was a 4 stroker.....

Those are interesting numbers. I was pretty sure that the motor we had weighed 212lbs as well and it was a 40hp. Sure enough, just checked it out and the 40hp and 50hp hondas weigh the same. Also, I guess the newer hondas are EFI while the Yamaha we just bought was carberated. Thanks for the info on that.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Etecs 2-stroke DI's???

Default etec

I thought that I saw something yesterday on the web about them NOT using oil.....here is the spec that I found today:

E-TEC 50 | INLINE - Specifications
    PDF version
    Get Acrobat Reader
    Engine: Inline 2-cylinder E-TEC Direct Injection Bore in/mm: 3.600 in / 91 mm Stroke in/mm: 2.558 in / 66 mm Displacement cu / cc: 52.7 cu / 863 cc Starting: Electric Trim Method: Power Trim and Tilt Propshaft kilowatts (HP): 50 HP (37 kw) @ 5750 RPM Full Throttle Operating
    Range (RPM): 5500-6000 Gear Ratio: 2.67:1 Fuel Induction: E-TEC Direct Fuel Injection with stratified low RPM
    combustion mode Alternator: Variable Voltage Computer Controlled 75 Amp / 1100 watt output with Regulator Cooling: Pressure and Temperature Controlled Water Cooled Steering: Remote or Accessory Tiller Limited Warranty: 3 Years Non-Declining Compliance: EPA 2006 / CARB 3 STAR / European Union 2006 Colors: Blue / White Length: 20 in / 508 mm Dry Weight: 240 lbs / 109 kg or 251 lbs / 113 kg

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Got a new 50 E-tec
    Last April I bought a 19' Klamath with a 50 hp E-tec.I live in Soldotna so I wanted a boat I could use on the Kenai,go to Homer to fish for butts,and I've taken it to Seward many times for silvers,rockfish,and butts.I have had many boats in the last 50 years and while I admit no one boat can do it all this is about as good as it gets.The Klamath only weighs 800lbs but that little 50 can get up and go.I don't feel any need to go more than 40 mph on any water (I've got enough grey hair).The 50 hp will flat out go and that was not at full throttle.If your cat is much heavier I can't adress that issue.Mechanically,I have never had any problems yet.Sucked some seaweed into the intake once--clean it off--no more problem.Fuel economy is awesome.With an 18 gallon tank I've been out for 15 hours--running,trolling drifting,and running back to port and not even used 1/2 a tank.The only drawback to the Evinrude is that it is tuned to use their 2 stroke oil and that stuff is $50 a gallon.It doesn't use much but that was one rude wake-up call.For me the E-tec makes my time on the water a joy-not a hassel like some other engines I could but won't mentin.Good luck with your choice.

Default klamath

The klamath is the other boat that I have been pondering instead of a cat.........a little more cost - but maybe worth it........you can't really float the upper and middle kenai in one though can you?

I think that floating the Kenai (esp. the canyon) in a boat like a Klamath would really suck, also a 40 or 50hp on a cataraft is a lot of motor. Not only is this a pretty heavy powerhead, but also way more power than you would ever need/use on a cat. I don't think that your going to get a loaded cat on step unless you do a lot of modifications to your hull like adding UHMW etc. Catarafts are just not designed to be used as power boats. I understand that your looking for an outboard to use for multi purposes and or maybe a boat for multi purposes, but I think in the end you will have an outfit that will work very well for one purpose and not very well at all for another. If your going to go that route, you should probably decide what's most important to you and or what you will be using it for the most.

When I re-powered my Xtra plus, I considered a honda 4-stroke. Wieght was an issue.

4-srokes are good on fuel econmy, but are slow out of the hole when compared to DI-2-strokes. BTW I run a jet pump on my Evinrude 250.

I did like the idea of not having to deal with oil on 2-strokes.

I now run a 2005 DI- Eveinrude 250 with a pump and as a kicker, I run a 15hp Honda 4-stroke.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default The other DI 2stroke

Is the Tohatsu 50hp TLDI...

I bought it over the Yamaha as it is lighter (like 202lbs or something), won the 2005 engine o' the year award, and was reputed to have a typical 2-stroke powerband--wide band with "right now" power. Its seems to be quite a rocket.
    In over 200hrs of boating this season (and still not done) I've found it to be quite dependable & fuel efficient, too. I have no complaints and do not find that oil issue is of any significance in my operation of this engine. The Yamaha/Tohatsua direct-injection oil is a bit less expensive than the E-tec oil.

If I were to do over again I'd have a tough time choosing. The problem with this entire debate is a lack of enough data upon which to make good decisions...

When I looked into buying a new 50 hp for the Kenai I found the E-tech $1,000 more then the Yammies and Hondas. At the sportsmans show there were only Tohatsu's there. But the draw back is they needed some type of special set up. I think no matter what you should have some type of water filter on your fuel system. I heard from some one that if the new motors get water in the fuel system really bad mojo happens (Blown injectors etc.)

Side note from an earlier post

I have a friend that has a 18' bayrunner that lives behind Dow Island on the middle Kenai. We have run all the way up to the mouth of Skilak Lake, and down to the wind sock. All on the middle river section. We never had a problem with a prop.