Thread: Shrimping in PWS

Default Shrimping in PWS

Attention all boaters/ recreational shrimpers in PWS. The BOF has several agenda items coming up in December in Cordova (convienient huh?) regarding reopening commercial pot fishing for shrimp in PWS. I have been fishing out there for 20 years and prior to the closure to commercial pot shrimping due ot the exxon valdez spill, it was REALLY hard to find and concentrations of shrimp for sport. I pull all my gear by hand (over 2400' of rope per day) for my meager catch. Now Gordon Scott "Bent Nail" has suggested that commercial pot shrimping reopen because with no one fishing shrimp they will over populate and crash. This is a classic example of a greedy commercial fisher using bad science to justify his cause. Please comment or you will find empty pots instead of shrimp (which already happens enough due to theivery). Sport fishing for shrimp has nearly quadrupled since the tunnel opened and the BOF does not see sport fishing as a boost to the economy. Please comment on these proposals or FORGET about catching shrimp (oh this is also biased but well known by ADFG, sport fishers and even the commercial folks).

November 17
    Deadline for comments on the proposed regulation changes for the PRINCE WILLIAM SOUND AND UPPER COPPER/UPPER SUSITNA FINFISH AND DUNGENESS CRAB, SHRIMP, MISC. SHELLFISH FISHERY to be considered at the December 1 - 7. To see the agenda, go to http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/fishinfo/meetinfo/2008-2009/pws-agenda08.pdf. Proposals are available at http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/fishinfo/meetinfo/2008-2009/propbook/pws_proposals2.pdf.

Thanks for the update
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I don't think the Bent Nail has moved from the dock in years??? has it??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Just looking at that boat requires a tetanus shot. Seagulls won't even land on it.

First, the health and size of the current shrimp population needs to be determined. If it can provide a viable commercial fishery, and at the same time sustain the resource, then proper limits, areas, and times should be determined. If there are plenty of shrimp for a commercial fishery, I see no reason not to have one. My suggestion would be to verify some good scientific data, start with a small commercial fishery, and limit that fishery to areas and times that do not conflict with the sport shrimp pot fishery. Maybe make many of the small bays, where commercial pots could hurt shrimp populations, off limits. As we know from past Alaska shrimp fisheries, in some areas shrimp populations can be susceptible to over-fishing, so close monitoring of the resource would be required. I'm only against a commercial shrimp pot fishery if there aren't enough shrimp and it's not done right.

Well said Grampy !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default waiting for more information...

I've been waiting to see more information on the stock estimates and harvest strategy discussion, as well. ADFG released their reports for the Cordova meeting the other day (they're on the BOF website)...but there's nothing on shrimp that I saw.

I've "heard" that the total harvestable surplus may be around 55-60 thousand pounds (currently). Sport harvests have been nearly 40K pounds recently (and growing), I believe.

Default Whoops

Sorry about the duplicate thread I posted in the fishing formum yesterday, fellas. Until my post got moved I didn't even know a fisheries management forum existed.