Thread: Need some Sitka Deer info PLEASE?

Default Need some Sitka Deer info PLEASE?

Hey Guys, I moved here last year and I really would like to get in on some deer hunting. I have hunted whitetails and mule deer quite a lot and I really have the itch to be out deer hunting. I have not really been able to find any good information on how to go about it. I understand Kodiak is a hot spot as well as areas around Cordova. Can anybody give me any info on who I could call to hunt with. I like to do things on my own, but I moved up here on my own and I am a little short on hunting partners at this time. Any info that anyone would share will be helpful. I currently live in anchorage by the way. So some info on where to travel to and how to get into deer country would be great.

Thanks for your time.

Default Deer Hunt

Hi and welcome to the State and to the forum. i would call Larsen Bay lodge, Zackar Bay lodge. They would house you, feed you and transport you to a good hunting area.
    I also would contact Steele Davis in Uyak Bay at amook@worldnet.att.net

Default Sitka Blacktails

Call SeaHawk Air in Kodiak

Default Montague

I use to hunt Montague quite a bit and use to fly out to Patton Bay area. I believe a company in Seward named Bear Lake Air still drops people off on Montague for hunts. You would of course need to find a partner. Welcome to Alaska and good luck hunting. I believe the other information above is pretty good for Kodiak as well.

Patton Bay area is Chugach Native land and you will need a permit. They are easy to get, but they (in the past) will only allow one group to permit the area at a time. Bear Lake air has been a no-go for myself and friends for the last 3 years.

On the flip side I have had an excellent trip with Seahawk Air out of Kodiak this year.

Default archive

check the archives on teh forum here. There is a wealth of good info, and a little bad info as well. I've hunted Kodiak several times and Afognak once. On Afognak we only shot one deer, between dad and I, but we learned from that mistake. There was a ton of sign down low, around the beaches, our camp, and in the big spruce, so we hunted those areas very hard. We shot the one deer we got up close to the top of brush line. It turned out that the sign we were seeing down low was all happening at night. Later hunts I found that if I could leave camp before daylight and be watching the low feeding areas and trails headed up the hill at the crack of dawn, I'd usually see deer. After good daylight, head high and glass opposing hillsides, you'll find deer sneaking around in the brush. Don't be afraid to gain elevation- the deer do it, so you need to also. They're about half mountain goat, it seems. Fawn in distress calls work awesome throughout the season, just beware that bears really like to eat fawns in distress . Bone your deer out on the spot, and pack them back to camp= no reason leaving a blood highway leading to your tent. Your binoculars and rifle scope are two of your best buddies: go as high quality as you can afford. Sight your rifle at 200 yds and you'll be good for any range you're likely to see. Most of my shots have been within 100 yards, but I've taken them as far as 400. Bottom line, if you're going to take a long shot, you're going to have to take a very long walk just to see if you hit the deer. Distance is very deceptive when you have alder choked gullies and steep draws between you and the critter! Good luck!

Default Sound advice

The above post is spot on! Anyone reading it now or in the future can take that information to the bank. Or the butcher.

If I could add one thing it would be make sure you mark your route well because often a high country aproach durring the late season with a complete butcher job thrown into the daily chores will leave a guy wanting for daylight here in Alaska. Or bring a tent with ya.

Default Thanks for the info

For those of you have replied to my post, Thank you. There was some good information thrown my way and I really appreciate it. For those of you who had sent a PM I thank you also.

I am in the process of trying to put your info to work and hopefully I will be out there hunting blacktails soon.

Thanks again.

call chet benson of bearfoot adventure 907 240-4868