Thread: Whittier Still Hot

Default Whittier Still Hot

Went out on Monday to get some last minute shrimping in. When I left Whitteir the fog was in. Slowly cruised out and when we came upon Decision Pt. God smiled on us and we had nothing but blue skys and calm seas. While waiting for the pots to fill, did a little halibut fishing and caught a 164#, and his smaller twin sister at 154#s. While dropping my line, felt a few hits so I dropped a Hootchie to 80' and picked up the silver. Caught several other buts in the 20-40# range. Noticed that the commercial boys are working the West side of Ester. Didn't fish there as we were after shrimp, but I'de bet the silver fishing near the mouth of the hatchery may be productive.Ended up with 33#s of Tails. Man,I LOVE the Sound! Posted a couple of pics to share.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You're killing me, man. Wow, what a fantastic outing! I've been fishing commercially out of the Sound since I was a kid and I still don't know of any consistently productive halibut spots, especially not ones that produce big 'buts. I can find them in 1200-2000 feet of water, but not within reel range. As for the shrimp, I've got some pretty good locations, but 33 pounds? That's just nuts!

-Brian

Default "Sounds Good"

This year I finally found a good hole thats not too far out.Took a long time and lots of gas to stumble upon it.( 2600 miles last year on the chartplotter )10 or so days ago I was out for 24 hours and got 36#s of shrimp tails,100#and 75#er, and several other nice buts and 15 silvers all out of the same area. Felt like I won the lottery! I have lived here for 24 years and still get excited EVERY time I head out into the sound. What a wonderful resource we have.

Fantastic job. The Sound has been a real good producer this year when the weather cooperates. Can I ask what bait you are useing in your Shrimp Pots? I've tried many types, but nothing that is seemingly better that others. Thanks in advance

Although I don't usually get quite the load of the previous poster, I average around 50 shrimp per pot. I use salmon carcasses after they've been filleted, cut up herring, and any other fish part I can get my hands on that is legal to use (heads, guts, etc). I know that some people use cat food with decent success, but I've never tried it. Just keep the carcasses of the salmon and halibut that you catch. Cut up some chunks to put in the bait jar, and then throw the rest of the carcass in the bottom of the pot. Works like a charm!

-Brian

Default Anyone looking for a deck hand????

I would love to spring for gas to any of you guys that go to PWS if you would be will to take me out. I'm a normal guy, no close talking or quirks that I know of

Brian- Does your last name start with a B by chance?

SockeyO - Alas, the boat I use is getting a major overhaul and will not be workable until next spring (at the earliest). If you've got your own ride, I'd be happy to tag along sometime.

As for the last name, it starts with an "M", hence the handle B_M. Horribly unoriginal, eh? I was in a hurry to ask a question the first time I visited, and have been wishing to change my handle ever since.

-Brian

Default We can take my boat...

...if you dont mind dying I have a 16ft jon boat with a 35 jet, I know the rivers if you know the salt. Maybe we can work somethink out. I know a Brian B who spends alot of time in PWS, you sounded like him. Good luck with your boat!

Do you guys go out in the winter?

I have usde cat food with great success. Salmon heads work great to. I try to keep allot of food in the traps. Once the food is gone so are the shrimp. I also use the shrimp balls that are soaked in herring oil.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Shrimp Bait

I use catfood, salmon heads, herring, and prawn pellets that they sell at Donalsons. Sometimes individually and sometimes mixed together depending on what I have on hand. I usually do try to always have prawn bait though. Most of my pots are the West Marine style,but I have bought one from Donalsons and it fishes very well.As Alaska Grey stated when the food is gone,so are the shrimp. What I have found is that for me and my setups short soaks are the way to go. Overall, an overnight soak produces little more shrimp than a 3-5 hour soak. I believe that after 4-5 hours, what food is left has lost a majority of its scent. But really I think that is just the luck of finding where they are. I used stainless stackable pots and found the W.M. pots actually worked better for me. Other than that. Luck and persistance is what has worked best. Hope this is helpful. Good fishen'

Default Looking for Whittier Halibut fishing

Hi guys,

We returned early from moose hunting and I have a good friend visiting here who wants to go out halibut fishing. I called everywhere but it seems Seward and Homer and Valdez have all but rolled up the sidewalks for winter. Anyone out there know who might be available to go for halibut or whatever? There would be two of us and we're willing to pay..

Thanks!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

sound fisher. Pics looks GREAT. Ditto with the weather. Sure am jealous after seeing your post. What happens to 30 pounds of shrimp? All for yourself or do you sell them?

Default Too many "Have to's"

Mike, I hoped that you returned early due to success. Sorry, but now is the time that I must get those last minute "Honey do's"," have to's " done before freeze up, so the boat will probably sit until deer hunting. I sure hope that you guys had some luck getting out. The weather has been hit and miss this past week.

Arts Best, Thanks for the comments on the pics. 30#s of shrimp sounds like alot until you start eating it and feeding friends. I do not sell anything that I catch because it is sport caught. I usually eat shrimp about once a week, so it takes quite a bit to get me through the winter. I wrap it in freezer paper before I vacuum pack it and it last for months that way. Every ones your friend when you have shrimp.??????!!!!!

Default PWS

This is my first year fishing PWS. Have enjoyed reading the posts and
    hearing the reports. I am in agreement with the fact that it takes time
    and gas and exploring to find consistent fishing.
    Bagged a few good halibut, a few silvers and have found a great hole
    for monster yelloweyes.

Really looking forward to next year, but still haven't given up this year yet!
    Will begin my shrimping expeditions in the spring, my wife makes a killer
    gumbo, jambalaya, creole.... the advise and such on shrimping found on
    this forum is incredible.

I have heard of deer on Perry Is. Is this true?

Michael

Michael - There are deer on Perry, but not a lot of them and it gets quite a bit of pressure because it's the closest island. You'd be better off heading out a little bit further, but Perry would definitely be worth a shot. Incidentally, if you're going on a weekend (or over Thanksgiving) and want a tag-along that knows the islands pretty well, I'd be happy to split the gas bill! (Yeah, it's a reach...but it never hurts to throw it out there!)

-Brian

Default Where you guys been?

Been looking for people all year for split expense trips, (I should have been posting rather than just talking to people.). Guess the problem is it's an open boat and I don't have weekends off, that rules out most people.

Chris

Default This weekend

I am going out on Sunday, not sure at this point if boat will be full up.
    Should I have a spot or two, I will PM U guys. I don't go far out, mainly
    about as far as Eschamy, mainly as I only have 94 gallons fuel capacity, and inaccurate fuel gauge, so only go as far as I can be absolutely sure that I will be back hehe.

Will give as much notice as I can, but no promises ok?

Michael
    I run a 24' trophy. Have heard that lower Herring bay has decent halibut?
    Last edited by Akn6pk; 09-22-2006 at 16:36. Reason: additional info