Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fairbanks Archery

Default Fairbanks Archery

I'm pretty stoked about the Fairbanks Area archery moose hunt. Is anybody else planning on braving these rather comfortable conditions in search of a late season moose? I can't wait....

Im not even thinking about it but I dont have any room left in the freezer...Good luck man...

It closes on Thanksgiving day, right? If it was open longer, I might consider making the drive north. I'm flying solo for that four day weekend, so I would like to chase moose...but I don't think the season stays open (am I wrong?), and I don't know the hunt area at all. Good luck to those heading afield!

Default yeah

It is open from the 21st through 27th of November. The hunt area is not huge and a lot of is fairly "urbanized" in comparison to a lot of other Alaska hunts. However, there are still some pretty good areas.

Quote Originally Posted by smallmonzter View Post
    It is open from the 21st through 27th of November.
    Yep, closes on Thanksgiving Day. I don't think I can justify a 600+ mile round trip for one day of hunting in an unfamiliar area that I haven't scouted.

Quote Originally Posted by bowtechshooter View Post
    Im not even thinking about it but I dont have any room left in the freezer...Good luck man...
    I have plenty of room left in my freezer........Been trying to help a friend find a dry cow around town,but it's looking slim.

Cool

Yeah, I'm spending the weekend scouting. The pickens are getting slim. I think I'll have to work for this one, lucky I have plenty of Red Bull to get me through!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I am all taged out but may have time to run around with a person if they need directions......or help...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default 1 week early

Had a tasty looking little bull in the yard this afternoon. 1 week early, ****. Maybe he'll stick around, we can always hope anyways.
    Dan

"May the gods keep the wolves in the hills and the women in our beds!" Menalaus -Troy

Default Winter Moose

Being this is the first really "cold" moose hunt I have ever done I have a question. If the temperature is going to drop as weather underground expects it to (lows down to about -15) I expect a wise bull would likely be bedding down somewhere. What's the best guess as to where to start glassing? Low land, high in the hills perhaps a sunny hillside (if one exists!) or somewhere else? I plan on hunting between goldstream and Old Murphy...any thoughts from those of you who have more experience (and have already tagged out, of course!) would be much appreciated.

by no means a moose expert....however -15 is hardly cold. Seems atleast from what I've noticed in the management area, the colder it is, the more they are up feeding all day long. A moose's boiler takes a lot of fuel to keep things warm...the colder it is, the more it burns.

Default Out today

I was out and about today, walked about a 1.5 miles and did not see a fresh track. It was -18 at 1:00 pm, lots of bunny and fox tracks. He is out there I have watched him all fall, just have to find him.

Wish me luck.
    Alaska Mountin' Man Taxidermy
    North Pole, Ak 99705
    (907) 488-7083

I saw a cow and a calf today but no bulls...i'll try again tomorrow...good luck all...

Quote Originally Posted by smallmonzter View Post
    Being this is the first really "cold" moose hunt I have ever done I have a question. If the temperature is going to drop as weather underground expects it to (lows down to about -15) I expect a wise bull would likely be bedding down somewhere. What's the best guess as to where to start glassing? Low land, high in the hills perhaps a sunny hillside (if one exists!) or somewhere else? I plan on hunting between goldstream and Old Murphy...any thoughts from those of you who have more experience (and have already tagged out, of course!) would be much appreciated.
    Actually the opposite in my expierence growing up and hunting in the Fairbanks area. You are much more likely to see them around town up and feeding more all day when it gets colder. I saw several cows and calves today...back at it tomorrow.

Good luck and post some pics if you connect!

Found a spike and cow/calf. I couldn't get the spike any closer than 70 yards and after a few minutes he pulled a Houdini...back at it tomorrow!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

cow, calf, & bull run across peger at DOT today...

2 cows off nordale rd this eve.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Hey Chris..........Glad to hear that you saw a bull but sorry he didnt present a shot...The answers to the cold were spot on, in my experience I found the moose will be up walking around more when its colder and really only bed when it starts to get windy. Dont think youll have an issue seeing them just seeing that bull your after. Good Luck to all and if you need anything Chris just give me a call....Good Luck

yeah thanks man. I'm headed back up to the dome today to see what I can find. I'm gonna let the "other" spot rest for a day or two. I'll see you at work tomorrow.

Later dude...

Default Anybody having luck?

I have seen a few, but no with antlers. I am done hunting the FMA for until closing. I have to work for the remainer of the season.

Anxious to hear of any stocks or kills.

Default Keep at it...

Likewise man. I saw a few more cows, but no antlered critters...I might be able to get away for a few hours on Wednesday but that will be about it. I think I am going to try to poke something out in Minto during the Jan/Feb hunt. Good luck all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast