Thread: Call volume?

Default Call volume?

I was reading a little last night on calling (predator calling with Gerry Blair). He was saying in his book that he suggests that one never call past half volume. This of course is only after you make you're soft first calls on you're stand. I was just wondering what every one's thoughts are on this subject. Does any one think you could actually scare off a dog with to loud a call?

I could see it happening if you don't realize the coyote is right on top of you and you let out a load call. I'm sure it all depends on the situation, I don't think they will all react the same way. I've made stands where after calling for 30 minutes or more, I've determined that there was nothing within ear shot so I'll let out a few very loud calls to reach out a little further, only to look up and see a coyote standing within 50 yds. The couple of times this has happened to me they didn't spook and I got a shot off.

Ted
    Pass it on, take a child hunting, fishing or trapping.

I have heard, totally second hand, that lynx like it loud and often. That's totally second hand though. I still haven't called much in so I am still new.

Carl

Default still a newby

Thanks Ted I'm still learning the ropes and every little bit helps. I got one fox so far, that was on my first call and it was very soft. I had to shoot to get him to stop! Me and a buddy are going out tonight looking for the second critter, hope the clouds stay away! Thanks Shoe

From what I have read and heard about calling coyotes is that volume can potentially play a role in getting them to come in. If you start off calling too loud you might scare them away because they could be intimidated and think that you are a bigger coyote than they are. But that is with coyotes in the lower 48, up here it is probably different. I haven't gotten to do much calling up here, but I'm hopeing to get out and do a little this winter.

If anybody has any suggestions on places around Fairbanks to go and do a little distress calling shoot me a PM. I'm not looking for your super secrete spot, but a spot that you have maybe seen tracks. I don't get out a whole lot due to school and work, so I don't have a lot of time to get out and scout. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by aksnowshoe View Post
    Does any one think you could actually scare off a dog with to loud a call?
    YES you can. You should never even need to go half volume on a caller. A predator's ears ARE there life. They will hear it from a long ways off and come to it if they choose.

I have a video of us calling a fox in on Kodiak, we were at the bottom by the ocean and the fox was on top of the mountain, 2000 ft. my buddy got set up and I started to call no louder then normal talk. That fox picked it up at what 80Dcb's? and bolted down that mountain none stop to within 50yrds and then a .300 mag stopped him. I should say an abrupt stop!

You don't need much, not sure where you are calling at but take into consideration on how many people have been calling in that general area? They could already be freaked out on loud calling.

P.S. For those of you that have never called Fox on Kodiak, you have go to try this! It's amazing how many fox we called in out there.

IMO it really depends on the conditions.

Where I call the calm clear mornings send the slightest sound into the distance like a rocket throughout the valley. During these stands I start the ecaller at a very low volume and work my way to about 1/2. If I can hear atv's from dozen of miles away in these conditions I'm sure a coyote can hear a screaming bunny even better. When the wind is howling I let the ecaller drain it's batteries from overwhelming volume.

I've never had a predator come in on the soft volumes but prefer to start out at a low level just in case there's one close by. I've always had coyotes come in when I'm about to give up while playing the caller at a medium volume. This might be explained by the animal not being close to the caller and trying to cover ground to find his breakfast.

Default pickin you're brains

It's all good stuff guys, thanks for the thoughts.