Thread: Planning a turning 40 hunt

Default Planning a turning 40 hunt

Hello and thank you to all who reply. My brother and a couple of buddies are planning a hunt next year in Alaska, not sure where yet. We are just beginning the research. We would like to hunt moose, caribou, and elk. We would like to take an air taxi to our destination, to drop us off for 14 days. We can't afford to do the guided hunts, you have to be a millionair to do so. Any help or knowledge is this would be greatly appreciated.

Default Too Broad

Your post is too broad for much help.

My first reaction is that there is no 1 place where you can hunt the 3 species you mentioned - nor should you.

When an Alaska moose is laying on the ground, you will wonder why you ever wanted to kill one - they are huge.

Better that you pick 1 target species and work from there. You can start with a search of the archives and/or a phone call to the AKG&F Dept.

Then a more pointed post will be in order.

Default That's a start

Thank you for the info on the three species. I was actually calling the ADGF today.

Moose and caribou in one trip is certainly doable, a bonus bear may present and opportunity as well. The website for ADF&G will provide much info for you. Alaska Department of Fish and Game

That website will answer many questions. Have fun planning your trip !

Default Hunt

Elk are only available on the islands near Kodiak ; which is a fly out hunt pretty much.
    Interior hunts offering moose and caribou would be a doable hunt, you could even add a bear or wolf to your agenda; As stated above moose are large and the fun stops when the hammer drops. Many GMUs have these animals in close proximity. A DIY fly in float out hunt might fit your bill and budget.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Don't nonres bear hunts have to be guided? He specifically stated he was not looking at guided hunts.

Default bears

I'm pretty sure non-resi can hunt black bear with no guide

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Elk are only available on the islands near Kodiak ; which is a fly out hunt pretty much.
    There are also elk on Etolin and Zarembo islands in southern Southeast. No caribou anywhere near, however, and a long run to find moose from there.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyandkc View Post
    I'm pretty sure non-resi can hunt black bear with no guide
    Correct. The nonresident guide requirement is for sheep and goats, plus brown/grizzly bear. The species where either the hunt or the location stand a decent chance of eating the hunter. Nonresident aliens need a guide for all big game, but that doesn't appear to be an issue here.

Default Hunt

I would suggest a caribou hunt, that way there is a better chance of all of you guys getting the opportunity to harvest an animal. There are a couple of places that you could hunt caribou and moose, might want to consider talking to Larry Bartlett @ www.pristineventures.com or Mike Strahan on this website... they can plan a hunt for you guys... Good Luck

Caribou would be the best success (statically at least). I would focus your funds on MT or Idaho for an Elk. I can fly to the old home in MT and hunt for weeks for the price of hunting Elk in Alaska.

Default nonresident bears

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    Don't nonres bear hunts have to be guided? He specifically stated he was not looking at guided hunts.
    Well, bear was not on his list, but the short answer is that nonresidents can hunt black bear without a guide, and they can hunt brown / grizzly bear without a guide if they are hunting with a relative "within the second degree of kindred" (this is defined in the regulations).

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Some next steps

Quote Originally Posted by TNT Designs View Post
    Hello and thank you to all who reply. My brother and a couple of buddies are planning a hunt next year in Alaska, not sure where yet. We are just beginning the research. We would like to hunt moose, caribou, and elk. We would like to take an air taxi to our destination, to drop us off for 14 days. We can't afford to do the guided hunts, you have to be a millionair to do so. Any help or knowledge is this would be greatly appreciated.
    TNT,

I agree that your question is WAY too broad. Here's what I recommend for you:
    1. Research. Visit our hunt planning thread at the top of the hunting forum. It contains a lot of information specifically to help folks like yourself get started.
    2. Focus. Make one species your primary goal and let the others become secondary. As was mentioned, a moose-caribou combo hunt is certainly possible, but even then you need to decide which of the two is most important to you. There are areas with both, for sure, but most are better for one than the other, hence the need to prioritize.
    3. Know Your Critters. You will not be able to hunt elk, moose, and caribou on the same hunt as they do not inhabit the same areas.
    4. Realistic Expectations. It is unlikely that the three of you will bag three moose. Two moose maybe, one moose is more likely. This is both because of game density issues and the amount of time and effort required to butcher and pack one moose.
    If you require the assistance of a hunt planning professional, I do offer that. However many of the resources exist on this website that will allow you to do a good part of that yourself. You must invest some time in research.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Add on

I would also temper your expectations with your equipment and capabilities. Alaska is much tougher on equipment and hunters than anywhere else in the US I have hunted. If you're looking not to break the bank, you may also want to consider how you're planning on packing something like a moose from where you shoot it to camp or where you're going to be picked up. It's not a task for the faint of heart. More low key hunts might be to use a BLM or Park cabin on Kodiak and hunt deer, or fly out to hunt Caribou, etc. What I tell guys who ask me about hunting in Alaska is, "What is the one animal you want to hunt the most in your life?" Then research and plan for that hunt. Some folks spend all year just planning for their moose or sheep hunt (and getting in shape for it), and yes, critters of opportunity do sometimes appear, but the main plan should be for that one thing you want most. I would be happy to share my personal packing list I use for my 2 week hunts (ATV or Fly out, I use the same) to help you look at what I use when I go into the field. If I can be of any assistance, just let me know.

Good Luck planning!

Fuse

Default A Fly in Float Hunt

As brav01 mentioned, a fly in float hunt would be an option to consider.

Of all the hunting I've done up here I'd have to say a fly in by a bush pilot, combined with the adventure of rafting down a remote river in Alaska is an absolutely unbeatable experience. My personal advice would be that this is the best way to experience what Alaska truly is.

What you should look for in cost cutting is to find a river where you can access the game you want and then float to a point where you cross a road or to float to a point that is close to the village/operation where you flew out from. The majority of your costs, especially if you're successful with a moose or several caribou, will be in the transport out. You want to minimize (or eliminate) the amount of flying time between where you end your hunt and where your transporter flew you out of.

Not to intentionally give a plug for Michael Strahan (although he does deserve it!), but he has a great book out there about the different rivers in Alaska that would be a great way to get an idea of the options you have and the challenges you may face (what's the name of that book again Michael?? )

If you like, pm me and I can give you a few areas to focus your research and fly-in operators that I have had experience with over the years.

Good Luck! (And sorry about the whole turning 40 thing... at least it gives you an excuse to go hunting in Alaska, right!)

-HT