Thread: SigSauer 229/226

Default SigSauer 229/226

Just wanted to see if anyone has any experience with this pistols. Was looking at the 229 Equinox model, .40. I have held Sigs before, but this model is a double stack, so I'm not sure how thick the grip will be. Anyone own or owned one of these before in 229 or 226? Thanks for any info

229 equinox pistols are one of our biggest sellers in the SIG line. They are fatter at least subjectively than the other double stack SIGs because of the wood grips.

wildalaska, where do you work where you sell sigs?

thanks

I have owned a SIG 229 (and 239) for many years. I have barrels for both 357 SIG and 40SW, but I pretty much only shoot 357 SIG. The 229 is one of my favorite pistols, and it is a real work-horse...reliable, easy to clean, simple de-cocker, etc.. My 229 has Hogue grips, which make it even a bit wider. The wider grip is not a problem for me, and my hands are pretty regular sized guy hands...I'm between a large and extra large glove. That said, I do prefer the slimmer profile of a 1911 for inside the waist band carry. If you're used to a single stack, then the 229 is going to feel pretty different, but you'll get used to it. Buy one, you'll enjoy shooting it and it will give you trouble free performance.

SIGs are trouble free...on a related note, SIG has gone to two shifts for 556 rifles and pistols and will not produce 1911s for the next few months. Too bad, they are the second best production 1911 after Colt, and now pric4es will rise.

well i took a look at the 229 equinox at SMWH. huge grip with that double stack. held it for about 10 minutes or so, and my hand was hurting/cramping already. will sig factory grips (plastic) make that more manageable? those wood grips take a lot of room on the backstrap that maybe the plastic could reduce. beautiful looking and feeling gun, except for that wide grip.

I have a 220 Equinox and love it. It is wider, but not enough wider that my very small wife cant shoot it comfortably (and well). The Equinox grips for all the models are a bit thicker than others, but several companies make some nice aftermarket slimmer grips. I cant say enough about how nice the Sigs shoot and after thousands of rounds I have yet to have it fail. You will not be sorry if you get one.

i really liked the 229 equinox but that grip is huge. so you think i should be able to get a nice slimmer grip for it? as i said the backstrap is very thick on that part of the grip, thus adding significant girth. thanks

The slimmer grips that I have seen have been made very well and have been quite attractive. I believe some were made by Hogue. There is an informative and friendly bulletin board "Sigforum.com" that was helpful when I was looking at my first Sig. Shoot one if you get a chance, I think you will be convinced.

well i got a 229 equinox today. i think (hope) with slimmer grips that this will work out.

was looking at sig alum grips ($170, ouch!) vs hogue alum grips. does anyone know if one is thinner then the other?

thanks for the info!

I second Alaskanmaverick's recommendation on Sigforum.com. I've been a member there for a few years now and have found that to be one of the best sources of information available for Sig's and other weapons.

Topgunsupply.com is a great site for Sig related accessories. I have never had a package shipped to me in Anchorage arrive in longer than 3 days. He has slip grips for P220s, but I didnít see them offered in a P229Ö it might be worth an email to ask though.
    Enjoy your P229. Of all the guns I have ever owned, my P229 in 9mm is the most accurate and most reliable.