Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .338 recoil

Default .338 recoil

Hello, I am trying to find some reduced recoil options to practice with my .338 win mag. I used 225 grain core lokt's which worked awesome on my moose this fall, but are down right unpleasant to shoot at the range. Anyone have any suggestions? I saw that Remington and Federal make low recoil rounds, but not in .338. Do you think Federal 180 grain rounds would be much different than the heavier bullets?

Thanks.

IMO you should practice with what you are going to hunt with. If you are changing loads to find one that doesnt punch as hard you will constantly be adjusting your sights. A better recoil pad may be a good option to save your shoulder a bit.

To answer your question, yes 180 grain loads will recoil less than 225's. Maybe you should think about a reloading setup. The savings will most likely pay for it. It is not uncommon for me to develop a lighter practice load. It is easier on the gun, the brass, and me. I usually finish off the session with a few full power loads.

First thnig I would recommend is to get a limbsaver recoil pad put on it. And if that doesn't work well enough you might try a slip on recoil pad. Limbsaver makes them too. I use a slip on recoil pad on the range for my 300 WSM and it works great. It reduces the felt recoil significantly. I could shoo it all day if I wanted to.

Here's a thread I started on the subject a few months ago.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ghlight=recoil

Quote Originally Posted by asrjb25 View Post
    Hello, I am trying to find some reduced recoil options to practice with my .338 win mag. I used 225 grain core lokt's which worked awesome on my moose this fall, but are down right unpleasant to shoot at the range. Anyone have any suggestions? I saw that Remington and Federal make low recoil rounds, but not in .338. Do you think Federal 180 grain rounds would be much different than the heavier bullets?

Thanks.
    Before starting, I'd consider the cost of 12 boxes of factory ammo. That's not a whole lot of practice rounds- a box a month. Now see what you could come up with buying a basic reloading outfit and enough components to add up to the same amount. I haven't run any numbers, but I bet you come up with at least twice as many rounds, along with a "free" reloading outfit. With those in hand you can adjust recoil levels to suit yourself while also accessing a much wider variety of bullets, if you want. Disregard the cost of the reloading outfit and simply spend the cost of 12 boxes of factory ammo on components, and I bet you'll have to shoot more than a box a week to use it all up.

Default Recoil

To reduce recoil you might consider looking up Mag-Na-Port on the web they have been reducing recoil for a lot of years. Their system involves using an EDM machine to install a series of ports in the muzzle. Works great doesn't alter the overall appearance of the rifle like a muzzle break and doesn't increase shooter noise much.
    It would let you shoot the bullet of your choice in your rifle WITHOUT the pain.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

might want to consider getting a lead sled, they are supposed to reduce recoil considerably.

Trade it in for a 300WM if you don't like the recoil of the 338. I don't think it is much use practicing with reduced loads. Flinches are nasty and to get rid of them you have to be comfortable with what you shoot, in any and all conditions.
    Magnaport (and buy better ear plugs) or sell it and buy something a little smaller.

What 338 WM are you shooting? I am gonna guess that its a Tikka?

I use 210gr TSX's in mine. Works great on big deer, & recoil is noticeable less.

asrjb, bench shooting and field shooting are different breeds.........my wife gave me a Lead Sled as a gift a yr or so back and I find that to be effective with load development and accuracies. All my rifles generally have one particular load ready all the time for most any situation. I don't change bullet weights unless I am out of them bullets and have to work a load up once again.

I am not a "porting" fan at all....Pachm has a good recoil pad, it is the FS990 I think it is. I have one on a .338-06 that my wife shoots and appreciates. Have Sims on a few other firearms and it works very well indeed, that may be the ticket for your bench shooting plus a big benefit in the field.

oh well just my .02

The lead sled works well but is not cheap. Make up a sand bag from the leg of some cast off blue jeans os such. Put it between the gun and your shoulder and the pain is gone. It is very effective in reducing felt recoil, it's cheap and you don't have to modify the gun. But, get the reloader anyway as you can practice a lot more for the money.

Shooting off a bench sucks.

Especially with my .338.

You should consider no longer shoot from the bench especially if your gun is sighted in with the round that works for you. Sounds the 225gr cor-lokts (great factory ammo) are working so stick with them and practice from real life field positions. The recoil be less and you will become much more proficient with your weapon.

Oh ya, +1 regarding the simms limb saver.

Default 338 recoil

We have three 338 WM's and they are not bad to shoot. It is not uncommon to shot 15-20 rounds from a bench at a time. Two of the three are Model 70's, one has a 20" barrel and the other has a 24" barrel and they both have Bell and Carlson stocks. My wifes 338 is a Savage with a muzzle brake. Yes it is kind of loud shooting from the bench on our back deck, but out in the woods it is not bad. Just stay behind it. Yes we shoot reloads but they are not on the tame side. Guess it is just something that we got used to.

i shoot a magna-ported ruger, and i have never really noticed the recoil at all. i have only shot federal 210 noslers, but i don't really shoot it that much.
    once sighted in i have only checked the zero at the beginning of the season and called it good. i have plenty of other rifles that are more "fun" to shoot, and less expensive.
    find a load you like, sight the gun in and put it in the safe.
    just my .02
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default stock

I once had a Winchester 70 300 win mag that would bring tears to your eyes it kicked so hard (or maybe Im just a whimp), I but a synthetic stock on it and it tamed it down enough that I could at least shoot it, albeit it wasnt the most fun gun to shoot. Might be an idea if you don't already have a syn on. I think I put a Houge on my Win. But that was 10 years ago.

Stock designs play a huge part in felt recoil. I have owned two Ruger 338WM's and both were tolerable to shoot with the factory synthetic stocks. But I slipped one into a Hogue Overmolded stock and it made it even more enoyable to shoot, the current 338 I have is in a McMillan with Decelerator pad and its a putty cat to shoot. Both stock upgrades made the guns more enjoyable to shoot. Plastic tupperware on some of the snappier magnums make the experience less than enjoyable! The most unenjoyable 338 I have ever shot is a pards Tikka T3 Lite, it has all the bad attributes a guy can ask for in a magnum caliber rifle. The muzzle jumps, it snaps and drills your shoulder, thats why I made the comment about it being a Tikka earlier. If I were you I'd look at a replacement stock.

I bought the 338 browing A-Bolt, with the 26" barrel, Dang that thing would kick, but after it was sighted in watch out. I took 6 bulls with it without doing any target shooting, I even droped one at over 400 yards with open sites. My brother and I had a little contest with it and his 45-70, shooting through a fiberglass storm drain (These were on our property at a 100 yards ) his went through one side and dented the other side (These are 4' round tubes.) Left a heck of a whole, The 338 went not only through both sides but went through the one that was behind it. The thing I noticed was you don't feel the recoil when you are shooting at game and I just don't want to go target shooting with that thing And a box of shells cost $50.00 a box. just rambling

FWIW....I am gonna respectfully disagree with your theory Rock Skipper. Though that may work for you, that theory is what has soo many Alaskans shooting guns that A) they are not comfortable with B) Cant shoot accurately if they dont have a lead sled, and C) leads to wounded game that isn't recovered. I dont understand the ideology of shooting a gun that a guy hates to shoot, anticipates the you know what out of the recoil it produces, and cant hit the broadside of a barn at 200 yards without a bench and still hunts with it cuz it was good on paper for 2-3 shots off a lead slead. If thats the case IMO a guy needs to downsize. If a guy cant get comfortable or gain confidence shooting a 338 then maybe he/she oughtta go get a 30-06 or similar, something that kills just as efficiently and doesn't scare the crap out of em. I rarely see guys at the range shooting from real world shooting positions, off a backpack, standing, kneeling, all I ever see guys shooting off of is a bench and that doesn't build confidence or improve a shooters ability, especially in preparing for real world hunting situations with a gun they arent comfortable with.

Default Knoxx Stocks

To all that think the recoil is to much. Check out the Knoxx Recoil Solutions. It has some good recoil stocks. McMillan, Bell/Carson and more. They put their sytem in the end of the stock and takes out 75% of the recoil.

http://www.knoxx.com/products/RifleCompStock.php

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast