Thread: Ever seen an orthopedic release?

Question Ever seen an orthopedic release?

I can't find one anywhere, and my wrist surgeon looks at me oddly when I mention a concern for future hunting while we discuss her debilitating my right wrist next month during a necessary surgery. Of course I'm right handed.

I'll need one that would put the strain on the arm or elbow, and none on the wrist, though I will still actuate it with a finger, like now.

I presently have a string release, which has always felt great to use; better than dozens of others I tried.

If you've ever seen a special release like this, or have any info at all, please pass it on. And no, I can't switch-hit; that just doesn't seem to be in the cards.

You have a couple choices. I have shot with several disabled archers over the years. There are generally two types. Guys with releases they have built themselves to pull off of some other part of their body and those that use mouth tabs.

Here is a great article on how Dwight Schuh (editor of Bowhunting Magazine) overcame a torn shoulder to be able to hunt that season using a mouth tab. http://www.bowhunter.com/editorial/B...heVeryHardWay/

The other guys that use releases generally have them attached to a harness of some sort that they built. Kevin Evans, a champion disabled archery from Canada that I had the pleasure of shooting with in Las Vegas years ago, has an archery shop and I bet he could come up with something for you.

Kootenay Archery
    6635 McLean Road
    Box 189
    Jaffray, British Columbia
    Canada
    V0B 1T0
    Kevin Evans
    Phone: 2504293584

I wish you the best. I may be in the same boat very soon.

Back in nursing school I made fly tieing and fishing gear for folks with wrist and hand problems and developed a rehab program around fly fishing as a class project. The hospital still uses the program for men and women who get bored with rehab. I have more than a few ideas already if you want to try some creative problem solving of your own.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Wink Thanks

Thanks for the info/offer; that's great.

I won't know until waking up after the 4 hour operation, which operation that I've agreed to was done; it'll be based on the interior issues/severity/problems-seen. At that point I'll have an idea how much usable wrist I'll have left after physical therapy. So I'll wait until after then - next month - before attempting to fabricate a release.

But so far I'm thinking that an extra 'sling' that loops around or past my elbow would be the right stuff, since my present rope-type release presently holds all the weight of the draw.

Then I'll first contact Kevin to see if he has a tried and true solution. Thanks AKDoug!

And Rick P, if I'm forced to solve it myself, I'll rattle your cage for some ideas to use. Sounds like you have some unique experiences helping people in not-so-different of a situation. Thanks!

I have worked as a orthotic/prosthetic technician for 15 years now and have fabricated archery releases for amputees in the past using dacron webbing and a leather cuff. I could probably make something up for you with little difficulty. I would need to get my boss's permission of course to use his sewing machines and materials, but that shouldn't be a problem .

Default hopeful

Hey familyman hope it all works out for you,All us older guys need all the help we can get ,good luck

Thumbs up going great

Quote Originally Posted by moose_meat@shaw.ca View Post
    Hey familyman hope it all works out for you,All us older guys need all the help we can get ,good luck
    It already is working out... Talked about the details of wrist release today with alaskabowhunter, who saw a really easy and cool way to move all draw weight to my elbow; nothing short of great insight coupled with KISS. Happy!

Moose_meat, not to quibble, but I really think us older guys should not use the term "older guys". I prefer descriptions such as "done more", "had more fun", possibly even "know more" if there's enough of us present to take care of'm all... you get the picture.

It was nice to meet you familyman, I think that release adjustment will work out just fine. Good luck on your surgery and let me know when you are ready to start shooting.

Congrats on looking down upon whatever brought you to this and keeping up the sport you love.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed