Thread: air transporters

Default air transporters

I know you guys can help. Thinking about hunting brooks range sheep time aug 10-22 does anyone know any air taxis flying out of happy valley or deadhorse. have done some looking just looking for a helpfull sheep hunter

This same question was asked often on the old forum, and the typical answer was to talk to Coyote Air in Coldfoot. There may be other options, but I know that this was a common suggestion.

-Brian

(By the way, if you're hunting sheep I would suggest flying in on the 7th, even if it means you have to leave a few days early. This gives you time to get set up and figure the area out before the season opens. It sure is nice to find those rams before the 10th.)

Default Deltana

Try Deltana Outfitters based in Delta Junction.

Default brooks range sheep

Eagan,
    Not to rain on your parade but I hope you weren't thinking about trying to go this August. I'm not sure what you are hunting but Coyote air is out of Coldfoot & he would be booked solid by now.
    Deltana bases their guide camp out of Happy Valley on the air strip but they won't do a drop sheep hunt. Way to much of a revenue loss. ( Also if you are a nonresident you need a guide or 2nd degree kin for sheep )
    In fact I don't think they will even do a caribou drop anymore.

However, there is a guy either out of Kaktovik or Prudhoe & I think Frenchy is out of Circle. Either one will probably drop you given enough $$
    Last edited by Webmaster; 05-17-2006 at 20:47.

Default incorrect info

Deltana will do drop sheep hunts out of Happy Valley.

Cool interesting

Well if that is correct Eagan I apologize for giving you wrong information.

Nemo, have you used them, could you pm with the specifics. It seems strange that they would do that when they are guiding clients on the same sheep. Also there web site doens't mention drop hunts.
    In addition it really makes me wonder why they backed out on me when I wanted a drop hunt a couple years ago.

Maybe they are dropping sheep hunters in other areas where they aren't hunting, if i read this right they have a designated area for their guided sheep hunts. I would think that dropping off sheep hunters would be a good way to make a little extra income but it would depend on how busy they are with their own clients. Eagan, if your a resident and can hunt sheep up here without a guide, check with Brooks Range Aviation, they dropped me in an area a few years back and their pilot is a good one. He picked us up at Grayling Lake which is right off the Dalton Highway and flew us to our hunting area. We left our vehicles there at the lake and they were untouched when we got back and it was nice to be able to go home at our leisure. http://brooksrange.com should get you to their site and hopefully your not to late in booking, though i fear that you might be. Good luck.

Smile Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45
    Maybe they are dropping sheep hunters in other areas where they aren't hunting, if i read this right they have a designated area for their guided sheep hunts. I would think that dropping off sheep hunters would be a good way to make a little extra income but it would depend on how busy they are with their own clients. Eagan, if your a resident and can hunt sheep up here without a guide, check with Brooks Range Aviation, they dropped me in an area a few years back and their pilot is a good one. He picked us up at Grayling Lake which is right off the Dalton Highway and flew us to our hunting area. We left our vehicles there at the lake and they were untouched when we got back and it was nice to be able to go home at our leisure. http://brooksrange.com should get you to their site and hopefully your not to late in booking, though i fear that you might be. Good luck.
    MY BRO LIVES IN AK THANK YOU FOR THE GOOD INFO

Thank You Very Helpfull

Default Deltana

I spoke with Ralph early this year and he told me that they are doing drop off sheep hunts. I think they were around $1200 minimum each way from Happy Valley. Like AKHunter45 stated, they will not drop you on top of their guided hunters. Give them a call for more info. (907) 895-5006