Thread: Kodiak deer hunt upate...

Default Kodiak deer hunt upate...

just finished the first deer hunt of the year, took the wife out for a freezer hunt, deer are really really slow this year, rut dont' seem to have started yet, a few bucks runnin' does but the does aren't having any of it.
    we were seeing about 2-4 deer a day, which is down from the 24 or so we saw each day the last four years. not alot of young bucks, a few...well a few less now!. Finally on the last day we got some freezing snow that stuck to all the grass and we seen over 3 dozen deer in a half day. some good bucks, alot of does, does and twins, which is a great sign.
    But deer hunting over all still feels a bit early, timing on the island seems to be a couple weeks off. late nov will probably be the best this year. The deer are here, but you've gotta put up with the tall grass, it hasn't fallen down yet either....
    best of luck to every one headed out....
    i'm on the east side of the island, mid way for reference.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default glad you made it safely

This is one of 2 that were sizing eachother up, I had just drove by the same spot on the boat an hour earlier and watched several deer higher and on my way back I spotted a deer buck or doe? I couldnt tell, it was a ways up, but not skylined. As I idled closer I saw another deer come out and they circled eachother. Thats when I knew I had 2 bucks, I anchored, launched the raft and raced up to where I last spotted the deer with a slight breeze to my back I had to keep moving. When I got there I was out of breath and caught a doe and buck moving out of a draw. They froze to look at me, I raised my Sako .270 loaded with 130gr triple shocks but was breathing too hard for a clean shot, they were about 200yds out. As I took my frieghter frame off for a shooting platform, they ran. I hit the buck and he dropped, rolled and died. I spotted several more bucks as the week progressed.

Hope to run into on your next trip.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the reports. Leaving Friday morning for a week with ACM. Will give a report when we get back around the 23rd

Talking Here's my first Kodiak Blacktail!

Taken at about 150 yds. with 30-06 about 1400ft! First of two harvested over the week for me, but a bruin decided to take my second one (of course the bigger of the two!!!) from me while we were on the beach. That was a bit of a pucker moment!! My partner filled his three tags with some nice bucks as well! All in all, great time hunting and saw a few deers, bears, and sea lions! Wife and I ate the tenderlions and a steak on monday night, and like Campbells.....Mmmmm Mmmmm GOOD!!!

Best of luck to all!!

Cheers!

Jake

Last edited by AKanders; 11-13-2008 at 10:32. Reason: Added tasty notes

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by AKanders View Post
    Taken at about 150 yds. with 30-06 about 1400ft! First of two harvested over the week for me, but a bruin decided to take my second one (of course the bigger of the two!!!) from me while we were on the beach. That was a bit of a pucker moment!! My partner filled his three tags with some nice bucks as well! All in all, great time hunting and saw a few deers, bears, and sea lions! Wife and I ate the tenderlions and a steak on monday night, and like Campbells.....Mmmmm Mmmmm GOOD!!!

Best of luck to all!!

Cheers!

Jake

Beautiful looking buck . Good going !

Nice buck. Thanks for the report
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default timing

congrats on nice bucks, looks like rut is in with the size of their necks
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

akanders you get a haircut??? or is it just the hat?? lol glad to see you got in on some serious deer hunting!! nice work.
    the wife killed a really big deer, in the weight catagory, probably around a 200'er i'd say, i killed a doe in the 130 range as well. headed back out day after tomorrow.
    Nice buck jeff, musta been warmer down on your island that up in my bay!! sleeveless shirt man!!
    Master guide 212

Default North Road system numbers appear low

Not seeing a lot of deer on the North Road system. I went out yesterday with my muzzleloader and shot a nice doe that didn't have a fawn with her. She was very healthy and ready for the winter, but the deer numbers were slim. Since I was up in the snow, I could see the track count was down too.

i saw one buck today just as you drop down into aintone larson and saw two bucks yesterday on the south road system, one nice eight right in the rose tead pass(read in the ditch) heading east and one on the mt just north of rose tead, he was bedded with a doe for a couple hours, but i'm tagged out...go figure was out looking for a bear.
    Master guide 212

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

[quote=BRWNBR;367896]
    Nice buck jeff, musta been warmer down on your island that up in my bay!! sleeveless shirt man!![/quote

Just trying to keep my shirts dry and clean, dragging these guys down to the beach before a bear smell us is a work out!

Hey Jake, if you find extra bears like you're finding extra deer, I'll give you my cell number!

I shot the doe up in the Monashka drainage to the North of the lake. While in there for the day, I didn't cut a single bear track.

Mike

that sow and cubs up the creek that runs into rose tead wouldn't go down to the creek, i think there was another bear in there but from where i was i couldn't see down in there. loaded with fish right now, the bears will be there. maybe a half mile up the creek....
    Master guide 212

That's awfully nice of you Jake, but that's your discovery......well it was till you went public. I thought you were looking for a bear?

road system deer is closed as of friday! Now bears is another story, still looking myself.

Managed to have luck 1st wk. Nov.08. Decent 3x3 with eye guards; using a doe bleep trying to coax a decent or any buck in? A lone doe was first to arrive! Long story short i was about 3/4 the way of get'n her all done up say 10 minutes or so? when outa the blue, alders started crashin'n & get'n louder com'n my way, First thought was bear! especially after the guy over in "vikoda bay" two weeks prior! (Mauling) Kinda spooky to say the least, waiting for the worst possible scenario when this guy sticks his head out only about 6-10 yards out? Needless to say buck fever had set in, Lol! thought i would be smart & get him to stop so i hit my call , only problem the one i was useing doubles as a mallard , You woulda thought i was out there duck hunting in the alders ! believe it or not he froze in his tracks looking strait @ me but couldnt get clear shot due to thick alders, so he takes about three more steps when i hit the doe bleep You know the rest of the story! Me & My huntn pard limited & He did a proxy hunt for his father as well, had to work for every deer this time! almost got a couple off the beach but soon as they heard the kicker made a bee'line for the alders! Fun Times! Out towards PL>ADQ.