Thread: Mauser action

Default Mauser action

Anyone know where a guy could get a Mauser K98 action for a reasonable price. I've been a tinkerer for a while and want to build me a custom rifle.

Thanks

gunbroker.com

Default mauser action

pawnshops and stepped barreled 8mm junkers

J&G Sales (google that name and it will take you right to them). Look under C&R firearms. They have K98s, VZ24s and some Brazilian 98s. Great prices, have them ship to your local FFL. Other than that, try Gunbroker, look under Mauser actions. There is a guy selling VZ24s that were modified by the old Kimber, price ranges from 165 to 200 with the bolt handle already modified. From what I can tell, the bolts were forged, not cut off and welded.

Like someone else said the cheapest stepped barreled, sporterized M98 you can find in a pawn shop is perfect, but stay away from the Turkish M38s and Spanish clones - the gunsmiths say the metal is bad.

J&G also sells Yugo M24/47 mausers. They are in great shape, but they are an intermediate size action. I'm making mine into a .358 Win. All 308 based cartridges will fit. You can get a drop in stock for them from MidwayUSA.

Have fun.

I've built a few k-98 based customs, and I'd be remess in mentioning that if you don't have the tools to do the work to modernize the action, you'll be dollars ahead getting a used Ruger or Remington and having it re-barreled, and you'll end up with a lighter stronger action and a rifle with better resale.

I found barreled K 98 actions for $150 at R Guns and wanted to know if I could do better or if that was a good price. Sounds like its a good price. I know that they are a money pit and resale is low. But its a hobby and I want one so I can spend the time doing the work, not to resell or save money. I dont have the lathe or milling machine but I can do what I can in the garage and have those items done when I have a little extra money.

Default Mauser

Go for it , might be the start of something big . I started out with an old 8mm '98 and re-chambered it with a hand reaming set-up for 8mm-06 , re did the stock , acraglassing wood here and there on the stock so it might look like a Weatherby , frankenstein rifle but fun . I wound up at a JC in Colorado taking a 2 year riflesmithing course and then served an apprenticeship with an Austrian gun maker for another two . Didn't make any money in those years but had one hell of a good time .

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    J&G Sales (google that name and it will take you right to them). Look under C&R firearms. They have K98s, VZ24s and some Brazilian 98s. Great prices, have them ship to your local FFL. Other than that, try Gunbroker, look under Mauser actions. There is a guy selling VZ24s that were modified by the old Kimber, price ranges from 165 to 200 with the bolt handle already modified. From what I can tell, the bolts were forged, not cut off and welded.

Like someone else said the cheapest stepped barreled, sporterized M98 you can find in a pawn shop is perfect, but stay away from the Turkish M38s and Spanish clones - the gunsmiths say the metal is bad.

J&G also sells Yugo M24/47 mausers. They are in great shape, but they are an intermediate size action. I'm making mine into a .358 Win. All 308 based cartridges will fit. You can get a drop in stock for them from MidwayUSA.

Have fun.
    The Turkish guns are generally good (watch out you don't get a model 1888 though). I've got a Turkish model 1893 that's just fine, they were German made with good steel (I know, the 1893 is a small ring mauser, but they truly are stronger than most think). As were most of their model 98 variants. The 98 variants are the ones to get for the OP's purposes. The Turks reworked them in the 1930's but they were still the same decent receivers and actions, and generally barrels too. The Spanish are the ones to really avoid. Especially the 1916 Spanish mausers, known to blow up now and then.