Thread: Heat

Default Heat

HAs anyone looked into the use of coal for heating your home or cabin

I never saw any for it to be a choice in the southeast.Probably cost more to ship in than fuel oil.

I looked into it. The price was higher than wood in my application. I also didn't want to deal with the smell and the mess of coal. The only way I would deal with coal would be to have a high performance burner, loaded with a hopper that automatically filled from a bigger hopper that I could fill with a dumptruck.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I looked into it. The price was higher than wood in my application. I also didn't want to deal with the smell and the mess of coal. The only way I would deal with coal would be to have a high performance burner, loaded with a hopper that automatically filled from a bigger hopper that I could fill with a dumptruck.

I was not thinking on that big a scale; just something to help sumpliment the wood and lower fuel oil. I was thinking ; just burn it like logs

We tried it in the woodstove when I was a kid. I remember you needed a grate to get it off the bottom of the stove to get it to burn. My mom hated it because everything got black on it from the coal.

You can pick it up on the beach between Ninilchik and Homer. You might ask around that area to see if people like it or not.

Default RE; Heat

This is the deal with coal up here, I once had a business in the lower 48 installing solid fuel heater. I just moved to Wasilla in Jan and wanted to burn coal up here so i brought up a wood/ coal stove and installed it in the house.

You can buy coal in Seward on tuesdays i beleave, and it runs about 50.00 a ton. They load it for you in what ever you have to carry it, i think it is a 2 yd bucket.

Smell will depend on what type of coal it is, hard coal has less sulfor in it and less smell. I don't think the coal on the beach will be good coal for the stove because of the salt in it. I have heard it eats the inside out over time ha go figure.

Stove: you need a wood/coal stove to burn coal right, it has to have a shaker grate and must get it combustion air from the bottom.

Burn time: You see about twice the burn time with coal that you will see with wood, if you have the right stove. If it is set up right in your home there is no smell or coal dust either.

I will be getting back from overseas in a week and one of my first chores is to get coal to the house. Hitme up in a few weeks i should know more then. Hope this helps T

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

In this weeks Homer Tribune....Coal stoves back in vogue

http://www.homertribune.com/article.php?aid=3543

Sounds like some folks are using it with some success.
    Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Cost outweighs benefit in SouthCentral. At Houston, coal now costs $190 a ton, and you have to pick it up, delivery is extra, don't even ask how much that charge is, because you could fill your oil tank with three deliveries. This coal is from the Healy area and is not as good as some of the mines that no longer operate near Houston or Sutton.

Default coal

I was told you can get coal out of Seward for 50 or 60 a ton. You have to get it picked up butthey will load it in the truck or trailer for you with a 2 yd bucket. I will be getting my coal next wk when i get back from overseas next week. I will let you know how it went in a week or so.

Sweepint
    '' Livn' The Dream ''

Default this is the up date

I am back on this and this is the deal as for as i can find. I am burning coal and i did contact Sewart; I did not like the size they said the coal would be so i did not go with it. I did call the guys in healy and talked to them, they said that there is a guy that comes in on Sat and will load it for you and it is 65.00 a ton. I did go with a guy in Wasilla, his name is Rick Dilley he gets it from the same place for about 190.00 a ton. It is not practable to go and get 1 ton with fuel the way it is.

Subutanus (sorry on the spelling) is not the best type of coal but you will get about a 10 to 12 hr burn time on that if you have a stove that is made for coal. I have been using about a 5gal bucket at about 1900hrs and still have heat and coals by 0800 in the morning.

Hope this helps T

Sweepint
    '' Livn' The Dream ''