Thread: Driftboat suitable

Default Driftboat suitable

This is like a bait fisherman invading the flyfish forum. I live in Oregon and two Summers ago I brought a 24" bayliner to Alaska and left it in Alaska. Now I'm going to bring my driftboat up and am looking for suitable and safe drifts. I have drifted both the Kenai and Kasilof and have workable knowledge of these rivers. That is the extent of my knowledge. What I'm interested in, is other drift boat accesable rivers. Are there suitable drift rivers in the Matsu valley or the Gulkana or Copper River? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Sorry for Hijacking the rafting forum but who would know more? Thanks.

Default Options are limited

Quote Originally Posted by Oralaska View Post
    This is like a bait fisherman invading the flyfish forum. I live in Oregon and two Summers ago I brought a 24" bayliner to Alaska and left it in Alaska. Now I'm going to bring my driftboat up and am looking for suitable and safe drifts. I have drifted both the Kenai and Kasilof and have workable knowledge of these rivers. That is the extent of my knowledge. What I'm interested in, is other drift boat accesable rivers. Are there suitable drift rivers in the Matsu valley or the Gulkana or Copper River? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Sorry for Hijacking the rafting forum but who would know more? Thanks.
    Oregon-

You've pretty much hit the main ones that are accessible from the road system; Kenai, Kasilof, and parts of the Gulkana are the main ones. I'd steer clear of Willow Creek; it's too small and jammed up at the lower end (though doable). Willow Creek is not a conventional drift-boat river either. It's mainly float and stop, then fish from the bank.

You'd be much better off (in my view) with an inflatable such as the AIRE Puma series.

Hope it helps.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Drift Boats Rivers

Yep Yep A drift boat is a bummer on the willow although it can be done juust not a lot of fun, I know bad sorry!

A couple of people use drift boats on the Gulkana they have there place however you must pick and choose based on water conditions and areas. Lots of rocks if you know what I mean.

Shoot me a note if you want a run down of the Gulkana

As the experts above (and I do mean EXPERTS) They are dead on. Willow is not alot of fun in a single cat. I put my 2 person down it once but worked my butt off to get off it with no issues. Kenai Kasilof and Gulkana are great drifts on your boat.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Thanks for the reports. I will store the boat in Soldotna so I guess I'll just stick to the Kenai and Kasilof. If you only have two rivers, these are not bad choices. With the upper, middle and lower Kenai, it is like three different river adventures. Thanks again, these forums are great!!

Default "Settling" for the Kenai!

Well, the interesting thing is that the Kenai River is arguably the best river in the entire state when it comes to fishing; all five species of salmon, dollies, and outrageously huge rainbow trout... and it's road-accessible at enough points to make day trips very doable. It's the stuff dreams are made of.

Yeah, I know a lot of folks fish it... but I don't mind that at all. Most are having a great time, and you can always find room somewhere. It's absolutely wonderful.

Enjoy your trip!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default It's hard to beat the Kenai

I have to agree with Mike. There are many days on the Kenai each season when I say to my fishing partners,"you know people pay thousands of dollars to have days like these!" On a good day, the Kenai is better fishing than I've had anywhere. (Of course, I haven't fished the Bristol Bay area yet.) The Kenai gets crowded, but it's a big river and there's always a place to fish, if you don't mind looking.

Default Willow

I dragged my Aire Super Puma though the river left take out in low water not a lot of fun.
    Then we drifted to the mouth of the Big Sue and rowed up the take out chanell, piece of cake. Once you passed the mobs at the mouth of Willow in King Season!