Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ready to upgrade flyrod

Default Ready to upgrade flyrod

Year before last I decided to try fly fishing as a buddy of mine constantly out fished me and I always thought it looked much more fun and sporting to catch a fish this way. I bought an 8-9 Ugly Stik and a Pflueger Presidential reel. I struggled that first year, fishing with my spinning rod till I caught a fish, then switching to the fly till I caught one or my arm got tired, then back to the spinning rod. This year, I got better and became what I would call a proficent caster. Now, I think there is no other more productive way to fish. I'm ready to make the step to a better, lighter rod. Not sure if I am ready for the "fast" action rods yet. Looking to keep the same reel. Looking for a n 8wt, limited lifetime warranty and so far, Loomis seems the most attractive. Still unsure if I want the Native Run GLX, or something in a GL3. Any suggestions or thoughts or input??

Quote Originally Posted by raycefan View Post
    Year before last I decided to try fly fishing as a buddy of mine constantly out fished me and I always thought it looked much more fun and sporting to catch a fish this way. I bought an 8-9 Ugly Stik and a Pflueger Presidential reel. I struggled that first year, fishing with my spinning rod till I caught a fish, then switching to the fly till I caught one or my arm got tired, then back to the spinning rod. This year, I got better and became what I would call a proficent caster. Now, I think there is no other more productive way to fish. I'm ready to make the step to a better, lighter rod. Not sure if I am ready for the "fast" action rods yet. Looking to keep the same reel. Looking for a n 8wt, limited lifetime warranty and so far, Loomis seems the most attractive. Still unsure if I want the Native Run GLX, or something in a GL3. Any suggestions or thoughts or input??
    A GLOOMIS is pretty spendy for a first rod IMO. Lamiglas makes some nice fly rods for a first rod. I would also suggest looking into Temple Fork Outfitters, they have some really nice rods that are priced fairly, I own a couple of rods from them myself. I also own a SAGE VT2 and I'm very satisfied with that. It all depends on how much you want to spend, I'm sure any of these "local" fly shops will let you cast a rod if you ask them.

Fish On!
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Default Rod Choice

Loomis is pretty spendy....but a joy to cast and fight fish on. I started on st.croix and have 3 rods from them and love them all. Plus they are a little less than loomis. the two loomis rod i have I built so it did not cost nearly as much as a pre-made rod. But I dont have anything negative to say about them both fast action. I have a friend that swears by mod-fast becuase you get the best of both worlds. BUt your rod action is goin to depend on what you are fishing....big rivers, small streams, lakes...and the type of fly presentation. mod-fast will let you do about anything. Have never tired one but i've been thinkin about building one to try it out...early x-mas gift for me

Also search the forums

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Default Or the bottom-up approach?

I'm a believer in the advice of local fly shops.
    Now every fly shop in this area (Wasilla-Anchorage, Fairbanks) can sell you a high-end performer (rods or reels), but ...

if you find a fly shop that carries "value" rods (Temple Fork for instance) and/or "value" reels (Okuma, Redington) - then you won't go wrong and you'll get recommendations that fit your budget. Sage I know makes a $200 entry rod (Launch),which I think has been renamed this year - but is a soft action rod that casts well IMHO.

You touched on rod characteristics (flex). A good fly shop should help you figure out how soft or stiff a rod you want. You might ask them ahead of time, "what if" the rod doesn't work out. Or later on, at least you're more likely to find a buyer for this value gear with a decent reputation.

Good luck.

Default I agree

Go to a shop and put some rods in your hand. My first rod was a Pflueger 5 wt. and I thought "yeah man I am really fly fishing" and I was but when my mom moved south she gave me her Sage DS 7wt, she never used it ayways, I started to realize what you could do with a nicer rod. Granted the DS was an entry level rod for Sage's line. I fished this rod for 7 or 8 years and while it is med action at best it has caught hundreds of fish including my first 30+ bow. I still fish this rod and actually bought a second after the Kenai claimed the original but I also fish a few other faster Sage rods.

Rods like this can be found for cheap on Ebay for around 100$ and still guaranteed. I would look at this option and save a few bucks to buy a upper end reel, I doubt you will regret it.

I bought my second fly rod last year and love it. The orvis clear water 2.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_d...subcat_id=7015

Nice and light weight and easy to cast even for a beginner like me. Not to mention it is easy on the wallet as well.

Default number of pieces?

Here's an additional question I've wondered about...what difference is there with the number of pieces in a rod...beyond packability? Does it affect performance?

Boy this is a 50-50 split here Im sure. I prefer a 2 piece rod. I have had 2 4 piece rods and had issues with them (aka breaking) I have never had that problem with a 2 piece. They broke with a fish on and I was fighting the fish the same way i have forever. For a new rod I love my G and I love my St. My Scientific angler fly reel had lasted over 12 years and I bought an okuma this year for trout that was very reasonable and am very pleased with it
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Im a big Sage fan. I have a VT2 and a flight series and have my eyes on a z axis. But each person will like something different. Just like firearms and bows, trucks and everything in between.

Hit the fly shops, most will let you give a few rods a cast or two. At worst put 'em in your hand and wiggle it a bit..

IMO- gloomis would be last on my list.. again, personal opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    Here's an additional question I've wondered about...what difference is there with the number of pieces in a rod...beyond packability? Does it affect performance?
    In this day and age.. not really, and the performance lost by adding more pieces is made up in convenience and ease of packing. Basically as the rod bends with either the forward or back cast energy is stored along the whole rod. The more energy able to transfer through the rod the more efficient it would be. Each extra piece is a point of energy loss (at the ferrules), a point impacting efficiency and ultimately performance. However todays manufacturing technologies are so vast and great that it really is not noticable IMO. Still, I would not exceed four pieces. Four is plenty easy to pack, and still performs comparably to rods with fewer pieces.

Default let's get more specific....

I appreciate all the input but I still don't think I'm seeing what I'm looking for, which is advice on buying a higher end flyrod. Yes, G-Loomis is spendy. Does anyone else have I regular paying job and get a PFD? I mean, we DO live in Alaska, right? I'm sure you all have "toys" other than your flyrods, too, right? Also, this won't be my "first" flyrod. I did spring for that Ugly Stik, which is an 8/9wt. which means my reel is for an 8wt. and I am not looking to get new reel, just a new rod, ergo, an 8wt. I'm also not looking to buy a rod and then upgrade to a nicer rod again in a couple of years (and spending more), I'm looking for a rod I can "grow" into. I outgrew that Ugly Stik pretty fast, IMHO. I have looked at all the brand names mentioned up to this point, and, based on G-Loomis "Expediter" warranty option and the short fishing season up here, if the rod breaks, for $65 I get a brand new rod in two days, no questions asked, it looks like the best choice, even for the price. As for buying a rod on ebay, the lifetime warranty is usually only good for the original owner, so, if the rod breaks, no new rod in two days. So, all that being said, I guess my only question is, GL3 or GLX? I think the Med-Fast action of the GL3 8wt in a 9'6" is what I'm gonna get. Thanks to all who responded, especially for the link to the reviews!

Default No worries

FWIW you can find blank warranty cards. No need to worry when you have multiple backups, just reach for the other. I guess at the rate I go through waders I need to save a few bucks somewhere. I apologize if I got off topic. Good luck, im sure you'll love that new rod.

Having owned, cast, demo'd or fished pretty much every relevant brand and make of flyrod out there, I think I can probably shine some light on your situation.

Find a rod that is compatible with your casting idiosyncrasies but still has some room to grow into. Go to a flyshop that stocks a wide array of rods, or attend a casting demo session that features a bunch of different brands, and be sure to cast each one. Purchasing from a flyshop is far preferable to ebay and other "used gear" sites...no scammers, new, warranty card and all.

Some things you might want to consider...

Are you set on an 8wt, and if so, why? A 7 is a far more versatile rod, but if you want an 8, you want an 8.

9ft? 9'6"? 10' even?

What is your primary quarry, and where are you going to be using the rod? No specifics, but more like - What environment? Boat? Wide open gravel bar? Brushy creek?

Are you going to be fishing primarily floating or sinking line?

Will the rod be used in saltwater?

Do you want to match the reel that you currently own to a new rod? Do you have any preference for swingweights, and if so, what are yours?

...And on and on.

If you want help, I can give it to you, you just need to be able to articulate what you want.

Default Getter Done However

Nothing wrong the way your leaning but if your looking for dollar for dollar value IMO you should really look at TFO L.K. Signature rods.

http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/rods/professional.html

$159.00 lifetime warranty and is half the cost of the Loomis in quesiton. I have been fishing them for the past three years and have found that for the most part they are reliable and a very resonable value.

They come in 4 and or 6 piece I would stay away form the 6 piece!!!!

NO-FAULT WARRANTY
    Our No-Fault Warranty is for the life of the original registered owner. Send your registration card with each purchase to activate your warranty. Simply return a damaged rod with $25 for shipping & handling, and we will repair or replace your rod.

I have been lucky enough to deal with the regional rep great service always.

G-Smolt and 6X Great info.

Loomis, Sage, Orvis etc.... all great products the only reason I suggest you lean towards TFO is value & Application with enough money later to grow into your next evolutionary step in Fly Fishing. As my wife puts it the 10 steps to living poor.

Best Wishes & Tight Lines

Blue Moose

Smile Sections

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    There is a little difference but like icb12 said the technology in this field has grown to where you dont notice it. Personally I have never had a problem with multi piece rod breaking from use or fighting a fish...it has all been my error (i mean the wind) but I really like the compactability and you can take them anywhere...its awesome for hiking into lakes and streams or just carrying multiple rods. I know a couple of college friends that guide during the summers and have seen loomis rods been beat to ****, run over, and just utter mis-use on the clients part and the rods just take it. Either way you go..you wont be disappointed

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

TFO is a great rod for the money. If I were totally splurge and go off the deep end and buy a rod it would be A WINSTON. I got to fish a 5wt this year on the kenai for bows and oh man. words cannot do it justice. Alot of money but there is a difference
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Wright and McGill. You can get one at B&J's and Trustworthy Hardware in Soldotna. Lifetime over the counter warranty. If you happen to break your Loomis or Temple Fork, you have to send it back to the company with a $25-30 handling fee. If you happen to break a Wright and McGill, you go to B&J's or Trustworthy Hardware and hand them your rod and they hand you a new one.

W.W. Grigg is another good rod with a lifetime warranty and for very little $$. They charge $17 to send in a broken rod (I've got 3 and haven't had a problem with any of them, but my buddy did break his 8 wt.)

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    If I were totally splurge and go off the deep end and buy a rod it would be A WINSTON.
    Last time I checked, Alaska Fly Fishing Goods in Juneau had Winstons 40% off. I'm very happy with my Winston and my TFO.

Default This is the advice I'm looking for

Quote Originally Posted by G_Smolt View Post
    Having owned, cast, demo'd or fished pretty much every relevant brand and make of flyrod out there, I think I can probably shine some light on your situation.

Find a rod that is compatible with your casting idiosyncrasies but still has some room to grow into. Go to a flyshop that stocks a wide array of rods, or attend a casting demo session that features a bunch of different brands, and be sure to cast each one. Purchasing from a flyshop is far preferable to ebay and other "used gear" sites...no scammers, new, warranty card and all.

Some things you might want to consider...

Are you set on an 8wt, and if so, why? A 7 is a far more versatile rod, but if you want an 8, you want an 8.

9ft? 9'6"? 10' even?

What is your primary quarry, and where are you going to be using the rod? No specifics, but more like - What environment? Boat? Wide open gravel bar? Brushy creek?

Are you going to be fishing primarily floating or sinking line?

Will the rod be used in saltwater?

Do you want to match the reel that you currently own to a new rod? Do you have any preference for swingweights, and if so, what are yours?

...And on and on.

If you want help, I can give it to you, you just need to be able to articulate what you want.
    I'm set on an 8. I figure it like this: It's enough to get the silvers on the bank in a timely manner while combat fishing, it isn't too much rod for reds on the Russian or Kenai, and it's a decent rod for steelhead on the rivers, too. It's probably a little much for 'bows on Kenai, but it will work for that, too.

9'6" at least, a 10 would be okay, too. Castability,combat fishing, steelhead, again, all come into play. Won't be in a boat really at all so short length won't necessarily be needed.

Mostly gravel bars and bushy creeks.

Both floating line and sink tips, but I'd say primarily sink tips.

Might be in salt water, but rare and highly unlikely.

Yes, I would like to match the reel I currently own to a new rod. Not looking to upgrade there yet. I see no reason to as I've been perfectly happy with it so far. Also, no real preference for swing weight, but in my mind, lighter is probably better.

Any more questions?

I found a Loomis GL3 9'9" in an 8wt. It's my understanding Loomis is going to discontinue this rod (the GL3)? Not sure. I'll be checking into that lifetime over the counter instant replacement warranty for the rods at B&J. In the mean time I think I'm gonna make that GL3 mine. Start saving for the GLX.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast