Thread: Gas Auger on non-motorized lakes?

Default Gas Auger on non-motorized lakes?

Is it illegal to use a gas powered auger on non-motorized lakes? I'm assuming it is but I can't find anything in the regs.

Thanks,
    Zach

You are fine using a gas auger on a non motorized lake. The motorized restriction only applies to vehicles not tools.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thanks AKmud

Thumbs up

Good question : Good answer

This topic baffles me because you see these pristine non-motorized lakes, and you can't even take an electric motor on them, but here come the pontoon airplanes landing and taking off. That doesn't make sense...

I know that some non-motorized lakes on the Kenai Peninsula means no motors to all vehicles including airplanes. I don't know about the augers.

Default Where are you talking about?

In the Kenai NWR, there are some lakes you cannot use motors on, others where you can use them but leave no wake, still others that airplanes cannot even fly over at a given altitude, and then some which float or ski planes can land on to do fishing only. A few lakes you can take a snowmachine into if there's enough snow, others are off-limits to snowmachines completely. Hidden and Skilak lakes are open to cars and trucks when the ice is thick enough, but you can get busted for having a snowmachine on Hidden at times, and no ATVs at all. Mystery creek Road is open to trucks and street legal 4x4s, but ATVs are forbidden. Yet you can use snowmachines on Mystery Creek Road when there is enough snow even if the gate is closed! On roads off of Swanson River Road you can't even use a bicycle or dolly to haul meat or a canoe, yet oil company rigs and refuge rangers travel back and forth in trucks. It is hard to figure out the rules! I have used power augers and chainsaws on many of the lakes in the refuge and have never been busted or even questioned. I intend to continue to do so.

To me all these rules are a bunch of crap and driven by the same environmentalist doublespeak that has Gore flying in big jets and powering big houses, but wanting the common guy to cut back. I'm afraid things will only get worse in the new administration as environmentalists are empowered, so hang on.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by zpoehler View Post
    Is it illegal to use a gas powered auger on non-motorized lakes? I'm assuming it is but I can't find anything in the regs.

Thanks,
    Zach
    Two stroke or Four Stroke Auger?
    Just kidding, I think you would have to be specific about which lake. Just about every lake with restrictions are a little bit different from the others.

I was asking specifically about the Keplar-bradley lake system in the valley, by the way it's a 2-stroke strikemaster which I broke the handle on today while hiking up the hill on Marion lake, anyone know of a strikemaster dealer in the valley?
    One decent rainbow on Marion, very good looking lake but I couldn't get anything to bite...i'm going to blame it on the recent snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Two stroke or Four Stroke Auger?
    I just laughed and spit coffe on myself. I gotta go change shirts.

Default 4 strokin

nope - DI 2 strokes only - and they have to be less than 5 HP and 8" hole if used in january.......

[quote=moose-head;366556]I just laughed and spit coffe on myself. I gotta go change shirts.
    moose head, I'm still laughing great post
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Default It only applies to motor operating in the summer.......go figure

So let me get this straight, you drive your truck to the spot you want, get out the auger and fire it up and drill, and you're worried if it is a non motorized lake while the plane is landing next to you with skis? And you're really serious? Really? Without a doubt, it is a crazy world......

Unhappy DI 2-Strokes

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    nope - DI 2 strokes only - and they have to be less than 5 HP and 8" hole if used in january.......
    The 2 strokes also may only be used when the wind is blowing in the direction that takes the shortest amount of time to cross the lake. Note that there is a proper drilling method required when using such motors on these lakes with the special restriction. There is a 3 second rule before drillling for every mph of wind over 2 miles per hour when wind crossing a lake more than 15 yards long. The proper drilling method includes as follows. (1) Be in position to drill prior to starting motor. (2) Take note of wind speed and direction. (3) Try to estimate the wind chill and temp not to exeed 2 seconds. (4) When the wind lets down more than 2 mph you may give your first pull on the auger cord.