Thread: Big lake regs confusing

Default Big lake regs confusing

I am planing on ice fishing Big lake more this winter and was going over the regs. I thought you are not allowed to use bait. However, after looking through the regs I am confused. Starts by saying you can not use bait from this date to this date, then in the Ice fishing regs it says nothing about bait. I am also confused about bait in Flatt lake can you use it there?? The regs for Big lake in general

In
    Big Lake, only one unbaited, single-hook, artificial lure is allowed Nov. 1–April 30,
    including fi shing for burbot.
    Big Lake Arctic char/Dolly Varden daily limits: 1 per day/1 in possession, must be 20” or
    longer. Burbot daily limits: 2 per day/2 in possession.
    Closed to the retention of burbot
    March 15
    April 30.

• In
    Big Lake, when fishing through the ice, anglers may use two lines, but each line may have only one single hook. Nothing of bait or no bait

pretty sure its no bait on big lake but you can use it on flatt lake

ya I'm shure your not but it is a poorly written regulation. I can see how people would be cunfused. I wonder if the state rights them like that on purpes to keep people from fishing or for the money.

As for Flatt Lake the regs are for Fish creek/Big lake as Flatt lake is part of big Lake if a fish cop wanted give a ticket for using bait there i dont see why he can't.

I don't see how thats confusing? One single hook on 2 lines no bait allowed while ice fishing... In many places you can use 2 hooks per line hence the clarification... Also burbot have a spawning closure
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

no bait allowed but you ARE allowed to chum. Straight from the horses mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I don't see how thats confusing? One single hook on 2 lines no bait allowed while ice fishing... In many places you can use 2 hooks per line hence the clarification... Also burbot have a spawning closure

Yep, that's how I see it too.

Bait is allowed May 1- Oct. 31. Closed for burbot (spawning) March 15- April 30

I never tried it, but it looks to me like the reg allows you to use a single hook artificial lure on each hand. Guess you need to drill two holes side by side and jig with both hands. Try a Crockadile spoon on one and a Daredevil on the other. Char like 'em both. Matter of fact, right out in front of where Fish Creek dumps out, can be good.