Thread: Ruger Mini 30 in 7.62x39 VS AR 15

Default Ruger Mini 30 in 7.62x39 VS AR 15

With all the items for sale and talk about AR15's I started looking to see what all the hype is about. To me the main difference is the AR15 style is able to snap on parts and such, custom build. But the darn things are so freaking heavy, according to web sites. Most around 9+lbs. Where as the ruger mini 30 is just over 8lbs. You can get high cap. mags for both versions. The ruger has the integrated scope mounts and made with a the scope feature in mind. Only down side is the stock, which for me though would be fine not being adjustable or foldable. The ruger is cheaper $733, just a quick look at fred meyer. But the AR15s are rediculous if from a DPMS or such.

Am I missing anything in comparison? Not really looking to buy one, but the ruger sure would fit the bill for my second rifle-deer and such. Pretty much a PWS gun.

Mini-30 is a great Muskeg gun, but keep it 100 yards or less. I love hunting with mine, it is light and easy to carry, but I always pass on the longer shots. Stainless steel makes it a great gun for carrying on the boat. 7.62 x 39 is just fine for deer, but ammo selection isn't all to good. I don't know what it would do to a determined brownie but at least my buddies would hear the rapid fire and realize I wasn't shooting at a deer. Hi cap mags for the Mini-30: forget it. If it doesn't say Ruger on it don't count on it working. I have wasted more money on junk mags than I paid for the gun Ruger did make a Mini-14 10 round mag you can get for a price (Gov't use only) but they didn't make a Mini-30 version as far as I know.

AR-15? I can't see hunting with one in Alaska bear country. .223 would be fine for the little deer around here but for bear defense? Thing probably sounds like a dinner bell to them.

i really think the comparison between the mini 14 and ar-15 would be closer to keep it apples and apples.

If you want a good semi deer rifle look at a m1a1 or ar-10 both use 308 plenty for deer and will still take care of a bear.

there is a company that will make a mini 30 in 308 but it cost as much as a m1a1 or a ar-10.

Default good info

appreciate it guys. I don't want or need a .223. Some reviews said the 7.62x39 compares to the 30-30 and is the 30-30 version now a days. AR10 would be fine too. The ruger mini 30 is just so light compared to most of those guns though. Will still do some research and look around. Might just stick with my .375 ruger like planned for everything. Until I started looking I didn't ruger made larger than .223 in the auto rifles.

Wouldn't the 7.62x39 be good for longer shots than 100 yards with a scope? It is good for people well terriosts out to 300 yards.

yeah the 7.62 has been known to take people up to 350 yards but i wouldn't take anything big to far out. those little black tail would prob be ok though. i have seen alot of long shots with ak's

Default Darreld

I seen that one too. But Snyd on here was talking about that round in another thread. I guess ammo is spendy and hard to find up here. Is that 6.8 better with long range and having enough power? Too bad they don't offer them in .308. Not in a big hurry though. Just kicking around the idea and seeing what might fit my bill.

Default 7.62 x 39

The 7.62 X 39 doesn't compare with the 30-30, though that comparison has been made. The standard bullet weight for it is 125 grains, while the 30-30 uses 150-170 grains, and the Hornady Leverevolution ammo is higher velocity and muzzle energy. The Ruger Mini-30 has accuracy problems that compare and are often worse then the Ruger Mini-14, generally. functional after-market magazines are a crapshoot though the Pro-Mags are pretty good.
    Generally, AR-15s are fairly light, unless you go with a long heavy barrel variant. Just depends on what you want. A 9 pound AR without scope sounds pretty hefty.
    In my personal opinion, the 7.62 X39 would be a sketchy bear round at best, lacking the energy and penetration to be effective.

A plain AR-15 M4'gery weighs about 7 pounds.

The benefits are:

Magazine cost and availability
    Parts cost and availability
    Superior sights
    Superior ergos (cheek weld, pistol grip, fore grip)
    Ability to upgrade/modify

I have a Mini-14 and a couple AR's. 20 rd. Mini Magazines are $50/ea and I can get reliable 30 round AR mags for $10-$11 ea. By the time you buy your rifle and 6-10 magazines they are about the same price. Reliable 20-30 round Mini-30 mags do not exist.

Try buying a spare bolt, firing pin or extractor for your Ruger, it's not gonna happen.

The iron sights on the Mini are lacking at the best and awful at the worst.

The pistol grip and straight back recoil are superior to the standard stock profile on the mini's. It allows for manipulating the gun with one hand and for faster follow ups. The long action rod on the mini can pinch thumbs and I get my glove stuck in mine sometimes causing stoppage.

Scope mounting on the AR platform is superior to the mini platform. As is the ease of mounting a vertical foregrip, weapon light or laser system.

I like my mini, but it is inferior in almost every way to my AR's. The mini-30 is a curious gun, but the lack of mag availability made it a no go for me.

FWIW the AR platform is inherently more accurate as well.

I have both.

All of the AR15's I own are much better guns than the Mini 30.
    I can shoot farther and better with the AR15, tha magazines all work, the triggers area better, and AR's compare to the Mini 30 weight and short ness in the correct configuration. I have shot nice groups from the slinged, prone postition many many times at 500 and 600 yds with the AR15. Price is comparable.

The Mini goes bang, most of the time. Aftermarket mags: don't bother. Pie plate groups at 100 yds.

I like it, but I like all guns.

My advice: Get both, or just the AR15.

My understanding was that Ruger did some sort of taper bore deal with their Mini-30s , so folks could reload .308 diameter bullets or use the real .311 Russian diameter stuff.

Before the age of massive 7.62x39mm imported ammo, most of us had to use 308 prjectiles for handloading.

Anyway, whatever the reason, I have never seen a Mini-30 shoot worth a darn as far as accuracy was concerned.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

personally i have a min-14, one of the 180 series, and i love it. i have one stock ruger 20 round and 3 john mason 30 rounders and have never had a problem. look here:
    http://www.gunaccessories.com/mini1430/index.asp

lots of parts and accesories.

as for accuracy, my gun was made in 73, and has been on a cattle ranch its whole life until my grandpa gave it to me.

It lived on the gun rack in his truck and has been shot alot and wasn't cleaned often. I still get around 2-3" groups at 100 yards with factory iron sights!! and it has had a hard life and never replaced a part on it except an extractor, which was due to cheap wolf steel cases left chambered too long in grandpa's truck.

Yeah the AR can be more accurate, but if you are looking for a tough gun that will last through almost anything i would put my money on the ruger. not to mention the mini-series is alot cheaper than a quality AR.

come to think of it, ever seen an old AR? i dont know exactly what date they came out but personally i have yet to see an old AR shooting, anyone got one?

Sure I have seen old ones.
    In 2003 most of our m16A3 were reconfigured m16A1's from the 70's.
    Our 727 in 2006 were the same.
    1963 seems to be the date the original AR15 came into production for the Air Force.
    Colt starting making the civvy version in the 60's sometime.

Default 308

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    I seen that one too. But Snyd on here was talking about that round in another thread. I guess ammo is spendy and hard to find up here. Is that 6.8 better with long range and having enough power? Too bad they don't offer them in .308. Not in a big hurry though. Just kicking around the idea and seeing what might fit my bill.
    Ruger DID build a 308 version of the Mini-14 back maybe 18 yrs or so ago. it just never came to the marketplace. There are a few around that were used as field trial firearms. SUPER EXPENSIVE now though, designated the XM-1
    The 6.8 SPC will never have any factory high cap mags available unless the older 20 round Mini-14 mags will work. It will therefore be a 5 round rifle and not an an assault weapon as Bill Ruger labeled it.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Not the same style but, if looking for a semi auto in .308 why not a Rem woodsmaster, 750 I think it is called now. only 5 shot, but if you can't hit what you are aiming at with the first five then why bother? Superior in every way to the ruger, cheaper and available in useful calibers up to .35 whelen. Neither 7.62x39 or .223 is an adequate deer round in my opinion. particularly past 100 yds. I don't believe that you can load decent bullets in the 7.62 to adequate velocities. Some say a 60 grain partition in the .223 is ok. I wouldn't do it but haven't witnessed it done so won't diss it too much.

If your looking at a mini 30 to be a viable alternative to an AR, then you need to look at AK's.

As good if not better accuracy than a mini-30, dead nuts reliable, way easier to care for and repair if ever needed. And talk about cheap and abundant magazines and accesories. And to top it off you can get an AK cheaper than a mini 30.

Default Speaking of alternatives...

We regularly stock and sell quite a bit of the Wolf 150 gr. 7.62X39 loading. No experience with that particular round, but .311 diameter bullets in that weight are readily available for loading the .303 Brit and such. Doubt that there's sufficient velocity a ways out to be consistently effective, but in close, it would be better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!
    For a lot less money than an AK, an AR, or a Mini, I picked up one of the Yugoslav SKS's that're hanging around for under $300. Tapco T6 stock, drilled and tapped for the Choate side mount scope base, and a trigger job, and 125 Sierras with 4198 in new WW cases turned this into a piece that shoots a LOT better than might be expected and it, too has proved to be absolutely reliable. I'm using the TAPCO 20 round detachable 'plastic' magazines, and they're more reliable than the stock mag, and presently are still about $15 for ten, twenty, and thirty rounders. One of these really needs to have the firing pin return spring mod done, though, to prevent slam fires down the road.
    No matter what I do to the thing, though, it is butt-ugly, and I'm not sure that anything can be done to improve the looks. It is one rifle that I won't shed a single crocodile tear over if it happened to get lost off the side of the sled or dumped in the river.....
    ALL of the rifles mentioned in this thread are threatened by the 'new' iteration of the AWB that has been promised and is supported by Hussein,... AR's, AK's, and Mini's are presently unobtainable from our wholesalers, as well as magazines and bulk ammunition for them because of the panic buying going on right now. Look for prices to increase exponentially as the scalpers put them into the auction sites and shelves. Personally, I'm laying in a couple more Garands and a LOT of '06 ammunition!