Thread: Diesel vs. Home Heating Oil

Default Diesel vs. Home Heating Oil

OK, I know it's not kosher but I just got a load of fuel at my place in Seward and there's $1.20/gal difference in price between diesel at the pump and home heating fuel after the sales tax. That's $60 extra to go to Montague and back for my Shamrock Mackinaw. NYMEX in NY harbor is running only a few pennies different between #2 ULSD and home heating oil so we're getting hosed here. I've heard home heating oil is fine to run in diesels and the only real difference used to be road tax before the low sulphur diesel got forced on us by the greenies. A few pennies isn't worth the trouble but if this holds for next year, $1.20/gal is a lot to pay extra. Anybody know why the price is so much higher for diesel here? What would you do?

Burn heating oil...!

Default #2 heating fuel

I drove a fuel truck for a time and got a kick out of the guys buying #2 heating fuel for their underground tanks. On auto fill they were going through 300+ gallons a month. Right next to the fill pipe was a hand pump with an extension tube on the pick-up side and every truck in the driveway was a diesel. Hmmmm The above ground #1 diesel (I mean heating fuel) tanks were even easier. Just close the valve after their fuel speperator and hook up a hose. It's been done for years. Right/Wrong is up to the authorities but many folks are resourceful. It is scary to look up how many taxes are put on a gallon of fuel for road use.

Why should you have to pay any highway tax on fuel that is going to run in a boat?

Red face taxes

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    Why should you have to pay any highway tax on fuel that is going to run in a boat?

If you get your fuel from a marina instead of at a joes gas station you will pay for marine tax instead of a highway tax. Same with off road diesel or heating fuel they all have a different tax applied by the feds plus you are getting taxed on top of fed taxes because they are calculated before the sales tax so you actually pay sales tax on the fed taxes you just paid. There is a also a federal L.U.S.T (leaking undergrund storage tank) tax. Its $.001 per gallon. And if you shop around it helps to buy more fuel at a time. Most marine plants should have gallons rates for certain amounts like a 100 gal rate then 200 gal. the 500 gal. etc.