Thread: Bait?

Default Bait?

Where in the Anchorage area can I get bulk herring for tip-up bait? I'd like to get some tip-ups in the water this weekend to catch some pike. Also, when people talk about using shrimp for bait, are they talking about cooked/raw/whole/??, I have no idea. Thanks.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

most people use cooked shrimp but both would work ill bet. id go to b and j comercials for the big bag of herring and ask if they have whitefish too.

cooked, raw whole it all works. I prefer raw with the shell still on.

Skip the shrimp and the herring! use hooligan! down here in MN we call them smelt and for pike on a tip up there is nothing better!

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    Where in the Anchorage area can I get bulk herring for tip-up bait? I'd like to get some tip-ups in the water this weekend to catch some pike. Also, when people talk about using shrimp for bait, are they talking about cooked/raw/whole/??, I have no idea. Thanks.
    I buy all my herring in bulk here:

Alaska Bait Co

150 A Street Loop
    Anchorage, AK 99518

(907) 562-2248

I have some in my freezer that you can have. Shoot me a PM if you would like to have it.

Last edited by spoiled one; 11-13-2008 at 19:10. Reason: forgot something
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Ill second alaska bait. Give them a call they will take care of you
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Finally figured it out this year. While everyone was out Hooligan dipping this year an idea clicked. Took a few years (20 to be exact, boy that doesn't make me sound all that bright) for this light to come on. Get a bunch of Hooligan now for trapping and ice fishing this winter. I know it doesn't help for this year but next year you won't be shelling out big bucks.
    As for shrimp I use raw. Cooked seems to come off to easy with the little guys always pecking at it. Raw stays on a little better. When I take friends out with little kids and there are allot of bait steelers I use squid in little triangles stays on good and gives the little ones time to realize what's going on and set the hook.