Thread: New Member W/M-4 Maule & ?(s)

Default New Member W/M-4 Maule & ?(s)

Hello Alaska,
    I'm a new member who just purchased a 1973 Maule M-4 210C. I live in Spokane, WA but am a N. Idaho native. Anyway we are planning on a caribou hunt next August, and I could use some information.

My buddy from Anchorage said the hunting near his cabin near Iliamna isn't any good for caribou anymore. He recommends the Galbraith Lake area on the north slope and SW of Deadhorse. Are there any landing stips out there or do pilots just land on gravel bars or tundra? Can a guy buy 100LL at Galbraith Lake? Anyway, any information would be greatly appreciated.

I have a set of 800x6 tires on my Maule, but am considering the 26' Goodyear blimp tires. Are big tires necessary? They don't get you in the air any quicker. I fly around the Idaho backcountry with my 800s in Hells Canyon on the Snake and Salmon River drainage's, mule deer and chucker hunting.

If the terrain is so soft or rocky that I need 31' bush wheels maybe I should come up with another plan. I don't want to stack-up my Maule, but an Alaska caribou hunt with my airplane is on my "bucket list".

Thanks!

James

It all depends on the bou. Sometimes they are up there and sometimes they are nowhere to be seen. Galbraith is no problem to land on small tires but I would have at least 26" tires for everything else and bigger is always better. You might want to invest in the gar-aero as they are an ecomonical compromise. Closest Avgas to Galbraith would be Prudhoe Bay or Bettles. It can also be bought at Kavik for a price. Prudhoe is usually cheapest. If I were you I might explore some other options. The Maule is a great plane but the Brooks Range claims more than a few planes a year. If you don't know the passes and even if you do it can be horrible trying to get to or from the north side. If there isn't a designated landing area then don't land. It isn't possible to land in many places even with 31" tires. Come up and check it out but I wouldn't have my heart set on doing much hunting until I had spent more than a few days burning gas, looking around and finding some landing areas I was comfortable with. It might be good to check it out this year and then making a plan for next year. My 2 cents and good luck on the hunt!

Default arctic hunting

The acrtic is truely gods country, and beautiful country as you will ever see. Tire size is important. I had some 8.5 x 6's, 26" and now some 29" gar aeros tires on my plane. The 8.5 x 6's can get you in trouble fast on airport. I liked the 26" good year which you can get for around $750, and the gar aeros with adapters and rim for about $1200. The problem with the arctic is the logistics and with out a base camp and truck at galbraith, happy valley or deadhorse it cost alot more and you burn alot of expensive fuel. As powder special said I know of at least 3 planes that wrecked out of Happy Valley alone last year. Alot can be down with your maul, but you have to know you limits. I will probably take my 7GCBC up next fall if I can,t get into a super cub by then. Good luck

Terry

Default arctic hunting

The acrtic is truely gods country, and beautiful country as you will ever see. Tire size is important. I had some 8.5 x 6's, 26" and now some 29" gar aeros tires on my plane. The 8.5 x 6's can get you in trouble fast on airport. I liked the 26" good year which you can get for around $750, and the gar aeros with adapters and rim for about $1200. The problem with the arctic is the logistics and with out a base camp and truck at galbraith, happy valley or deadhorse it cost alot more and you burn alot of expensive fuel. As powder special said I know of at least 3 planes that wrecked out of Happy Valley alone last year. Alot can be done with your maul, but you have to know you limits. I will probably take my 7GCBC up next fall if I can,t get into a super cub by then. Good luck

Terry

Default Thanks for the information

Hello Alaska Bush Pilots,
    Thanks for the information. A trip from Spokane to the North Slope would require a lot of logistics, and planning. I'll take your advise and get the oversized tires, and take my time with weather and searching for caribou. I am impressed with the take-off performance of my 210 hp Maule. It's just fun to fly. With the back seat removed there is plenty of room for gear, but I'd want to keep it light.

I've got a friend that can drive extra 100LL out to Galbraith Lake too. I guess a guy would just have to fly around, get the feel of the area to determine caribou locations and landing sites.

A little background on myself: FAA Operations Inspector, Retired Army Helicopter Pilot, Recovering "Freight Dog", avid hunter, whitewater kayaker, and father of four.

Thanks again.

James
    Spokane

Default fairly good plan

"I've got a friend that can drive extra 100LL out to Galbraith Lake too. I guess a guy would just have to fly around, get the feel of the area to determine caribou locations and landing sites."

I plan to do that.

Random thoughts:
    Better be good at picking out a landing spot because there aren't many "strips" (like Idaho backcountry). Also, there is a reason bushwheels are 3 times the price of gar aero's and blimp tires. I would suggest you get a pair and they don't have to be the 31's. They are just a superior tire (this is an entire thread to itself). Remember, you are the pilot, mechanic, guide, outfitter, safety man, and probably the rescue team up there. Make sure you stay a father of 4.

James,
    All the info you have recieved on your bou hunt is good. I live in the Soldotna area with my M5, but I am originally from Idaho.
    Send me a pm and we will talk.