Thread: Tundra Primer

Default Tundra Primer

I bought a used Ski-doo tundra last year, its a 1997 and runs good but I am having trouble with the primer not priming. I have already replaced it once and it worked fine for a while but now it's back to not priming. Any suggestions out there besides buying a new one. Thanks in advance

They never lasted very long, and now with the new dry gas, probably even less. We used to put an in line ball type pump, with a check valve, it worked better than the plunger type primers. If I were having the problems you are today, I would consider one. You might get away with adding it to feed the primer instead of feeding the carbs, just have to play with it a little bit. The factory original fuel filters are also very small, and plug easily, so throw them away and put a larger filter on the system, that helps as well.

Twist the knob a little as you work it. Sometimes the primer will re-seat and pick up fuel. Once you get a drop or two you're usually home free because the few drops will seal 'er up. Also try to fill the primer at least a little before you leave the machine sitting for any length of time. I don't mean overnight, but like Sunday night if you won't ride it again until next Friday. I always had a spare primer in my tool kit when I had a Tundra. Great machine. Small problem. You'll figure it out.

Default One other thing...

That fuel line running to and from the primer doesn't last long, and is easy to replace. If it has a small leak, you will always lose your prime, and have trouble sucking with it. For about $2 you can replace all of that primer line.

Default I have the same prob

I just bought a new primer, and will be doing a replacement, and replacing the fuel lines!

Mine is a 93 runs like a top once I get fuel to the carb

Team CC in Eagle River sold me a generic one for $20. Works fine. I also have a 97.

Hi,

You can buy the generic plunger primers from any of the common mail order places for snowmobile parts. For Example they are $13.99 (US) from Dennis Kirk, Page 205 of the 2008 Dennis Kirk catalog. On my 94 Tundra, after it has been sitting it takes a few pumps before it picks up gas and once it does 3 pumps and then it starts.

Dan

I also twist the knob to help adjust the primer... I have also found that if you store if full of oil during the summer, it will help keep it in shape. Just make sure you pump the oil out come winter start up! I do this with my old AC Panther as well.

Whenever my tundra primer doesnt work its usually because the seal is dryed out or frozen. I take it in the house and put it in a pan of hot water and run the plunger until it starts to pump water in and out. Then make sure its empty of water and put it back on the machine. Make sure you use it right away to displace any water with fuel so it doesnt freeze up right away...