Thread: talented pilot or pure luck?

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default talented pilot or pure luck?

thought you pilots and everyone else might like this video.

Last edited by akriverrat; 11-11-2008 at 18:15. Reason: liunk didnt work

Default ill try again

dang sorry guys i just cant figure out how to copy this video to the forum.

If it was the video of the guy whose wing broke off and he still landed successfully, that was quite the video. I speculated that his method was "flying the prop" which I have heard is what some do with a Maule.

Quote Originally Posted by kcedar View Post
    If it was the video of the guy whose wing broke off and he still landed successfully, that was quite the video. I speculated that his method was "flying the prop" which I have heard is what some do with a Maule.
    That movie was of a RC plane. Thought it did look real.

Yeap, radio controlled model. Then they did some interesting editing / special effects at the end to make it look real. That is why it goes out of focus at odd times...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

yea that was the one i was talking about. not real huh? now dont i feel silly .
    Last edited by akriverrat; 11-30-2008 at 00:13. Reason: mispelling

Default Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by akriverrat View Post
    thought you pilots and everyone else might like this video.
    Does anyone else think the model is spinning in the wrong direction? It used to be that the high wing came over the top. Guess physics may have changed since I first began spinning planes back in the fifties . . . . .

Mort Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 1 View Post
    Does anyone else think the model is spinning in the wrong direction? It used to be that the high wing came over the top. Guess physics may have changed since I first began spinning planes back in the fifties . . . . .

Mort Mason

I fly the models too... If you have not seen anyone doing 3D with a plane, you have not seen how far we can defy normal flight physics. Take a 17 pound plane, put monster control surfaces that have at least 75 degrees of throw, a 100 CC engine and a good pilot and there is nothing you can imagine that cant be done.

I noticed the spinning in the wrong direction as well, unless it was an inverted spin.. Didnt look to be though. Lose the right wing and the left wing keeps flying in a circle to the right... not left.

Default Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    I fly the models too... If you have not seen anyone doing 3D with a plane, you have not seen how far we can defy normal flight physics. Take a 17 pound plane, put monster control surfaces that have at least 75 degrees of throw, a 100 CC engine and a good pilot and there is nothing you can imagine that cant be done.
    Sounds as though you're saying that the remaining wing no longer produces lift; and that the missing one somehow does? Boy - - - physics nd the laws of nature surely HAVE changed! I still don't see how the side with no wing at all can produce more lift than the side with the intact airfoil . . . . . But I've always been a little slow.

Mort