Thread: What do you think the most powerful utility atv is?

Default What do you think the most powerful utility atv is?

It's probably between the Polaris Sportsman 850, Outlander 800R, and the Arctic cat Thundercat 950.
    Which one do you thinks it is.
    I'm asking this question just because im curious.

Default I think

we need to round up an example of each and do an old fashioned sled pull!
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Are you asking about pulling power or horsepower and top speeds?
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

I got a chance to ride a Polaris Sportsman 850. VERY nice ride, but didn't really feel that fast. It was quick, but certainly nothing to wright home about. I read a forum that had a guy complaining that a Outlander 800R was beating a Predator 500 & Raptor 660 in drag races. If that's true, then this quad has my vote!

Quote Originally Posted by AKMuddy View Post
    Are you asking about pulling power or horsepower and top speeds?
    im asking which has the best overall in those categorize.

Default From what I've seen/heard

The Thundercat is a beast. The Outlander is a very powerful quad, but the Thundercat is to much for your average rider. IMO I think most quads over 500cc are more than most can handle.I like power myself, I have a KQ 700 and still want more power. I would really like to ride the TC and feel it for myself. I'll dig out my old Dirtwheels and find the shootout for the Thundercat and Outlander and post what they had to say. Doug

I agree about too much power, I switched up this year from a 450 Foreman to a KING Quad 750, and I am not desiring more power anytime soon. Its a learning curve as to what this machine is capable of and so far I have just been careful how much throttle I apply and when I apply it. My kid got a good scare out of it right off the bat, which was a good thing IMO, cuz he was pretty cocky with the Foreman, but the new King set him straight pretty quick!

I've ridden the T-Cat a bit and it's a beast. It can be a real handful when you are mudding along and catch traction or on technical trails. Everyone needs to evaluate their use of a machine and pick one that fit that. In my case, the optimum balance between fuel mileage and power is a 500 for me.

Scrounging around the internet I was able to come up witha couple numbers on the previously mentioned quads...

Cam-Am Outlander 800R - Horsepower listed at approximately 67hp. 0-60mph listed at 6.2 seconds. Weight listed at 663lbs for the single seat and 713lbs for the "2-up" version.

Popo 850 Sportsman - weight listed at 784lbs. Horsepower listed at 70hp.

Arctic Cat Thundercat 950 - weight listed at 716lbs. True horsepower numbers seem hard to come by but the Thundercat is estimated to be around 70hp - 72hp.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

So the Outlander has the best power-weight ratio, and in theory should be fastest if all other things are equal. It would be my choice if I needed a quad this big, Rotax motors rule. The thundercat should have the most torque, based on motor size alone.

I had the Outlander 800 Max until my son totaled it. Very quick, but the '09 is putting out 70 hp now and from reviews is beating just about everything in a 300' drag race. You got to keep your weight forward if there is traction or they will go over. I've got to add that the suspension allows you to rip when others crawl as well.

Quote Originally Posted by fishfood View Post
    So the Outlander has the best power-weight ratio, and in theory should be fastest if all other things are equal. It would be my choice if I needed a quad this big, Rotax motors rule. The thundercat should have the most torque, based on motor size alone.
    I wish there was information available about the tranny gearing. That might change things a bit. Not sure????
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

I have a Suzuki King Quad 700 and am very happy with it. They now make a 750 King Quad as well. My friend recently bought one but I have not had a chance to compare the two yet.
    Ryan Tollefsen
    Prudential Jack White Vista Real Estate

Alaska Real Estate
    Anchorage Real Estate

I upgraded from an Arctic Cat 650 (vomit) to the Outlander 800. Whole 'nother wheeler and light years better than the cat. Awesome power and plenty fast (92 mph downhill on pavement surface). Doesn't sip fuel though....

Can-Am is pushing almost 84 hp from the factory they have it tuned down but with new pipe and bigger air intake you get it back. If you go all out and get it bored you can get almost 95 horse out of it. I havn't heard of anyhting bigger yet and they are quick as well as powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGONUT View Post
    Can-Am is pushing almost 84 hp from the factory they have it tuned down but with new pipe and bigger air intake you get it back. If you go all out and get it bored you can get almost 95 horse out of it. I havn't heard of anyhting bigger yet and they are quick as well as powerful.
    There's a reason ultralights use Rotax motors. Not just light and powerful, but very dependable.

I am guessing the new 800 6x6 Polaris is going to be a beast! Looking forward to hearing some reports on that one!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

are you talking about the outlander 800? Because i don't think it put 84 horspower even at the crank. I've heard it's more like 67.

Heres a list of horsepower ratings i found on Nyrocs

http://www.nyrocatv.com/forum.cgi?vi...iewtopic=14497

I havea friend who test rides for can-am he gets a paid trip to go to their tast track every fall. Like I said in my post if you would have read it all that they tune it down before they send it out to the stores. from the assembly line it has the 80 some odd horse power. I don't care what any horse power list says. I know my buddy's knawlage and would put it against any one on here.

I havea friend who test rides for can-am he gets a paid trip to go to their tast track every fall. Like I said in my post if you would have read it all that they tune it down before they send it out to the stores. from the assembly line it has the 80 some odd horse power. I don't care what any horse power list says. I know my buddy's knawlage and would put it against any one on here.
    I don't doubt for a minute that the Rotax is the most powerful of the bunch. I rode a 604 off road bike one time, and it's the only bike I've ever ridden that had "too much power"