Thread: PWS to Kodiak

Default PWS to Kodiak

So, has anyone made the trip from PWS to Kodiak Island aboard their boat? I am contemplating (what we think about come winter, huh?) doing that this spring so any experiences with the trip would be appreciated. Things like boat size, speed, accuracy of weather forecast, weather encountered, moorage in Kodiak, etc. would all be helpful information.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

what kind of boat you got?

Just curious. Are you looking for most of your adventure to be working your way out of PWS and out along the NGC to get to Kodiak? Must be, because it is WAY shorter departing out of Homer.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

i believe i calculated it once from homer at 30 mph it would take about 5 hours.

My two-cents; My father sold his boat to someone in Kodiak big trawler type charter boat, it only cruised about 12 knots. Took forever from Homer to Kodiak, but it was an easy trip.

38' Bertram. The plan is out of PWS because the boat is in Whittier. The plan is to cruise about 10 knots. Maybe make a stop in Seward to fuel up because it looks like Whittier to Kodiak is about 300 miles, although at that cruise speed we get about 1.3-1.5 miles/gl so a fuel stop may not be necessary.

BB: The adventure is having the boat at Kodiak Island for a bear hunt. While it would probably be less expensive and less risky to hire a local charter/transporter, successfully pulling off all the logistics for a trip like that is lots of the fun.

Myers: What time of year was the trip made?

My biggest worry is weather holding out for the 30-35 hour trip. I have read and heard of lots of horror stories of the Gulf of Alaska seas.

Summertime.

Default get a weather fax system

I brought a 40' Valiant across from Sitka. The owner had a radio system that received updated weather fax's. First time I had real time pictures of my local weather patterns. Wound up getting nailed by 3 lows colliding behind us and one ahead where we wanted to go. He got that last fax showing the inevitable and we dropped the sails and hummed that hull up to speed. Took barely an hour and we got nailed with 300 miles to go. Had three wave sets rolling in behind us, never seen the like and never care too again. That hull saved our butts. We changed off of our Homer heading and went with Seward instead. The closer we got the rougher it became.

Anyway, being able to get an exact picture of what was going on around us gave us the info we needed to make good choices.

First picture is when the inevitable was dawning on us and the second was after we arrived in Seward. The hull speed shot was the max recorded for the trip and was attained by surfing. The hull was capable of 7.5 knots under power, calm water. I will never again say, "Boy it sure would be fun to surf a boat".
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by kcedar View Post
    38' Bertram. The plan is out of PWS because the boat is in Whittier. The plan is to cruise about 10 knots. Maybe make a stop in Seward to fuel up because it looks like Whittier to Kodiak is about 300 miles, although at that cruise speed we get about 1.3-1.5 miles/gl so a fuel stop may not be necessary.

BB: The adventure is having the boat at Kodiak Island for a bear hunt. While it would probably be less expensive and less risky to hire a local charter/transporter, successfully pulling off all the logistics for a trip like that is lots of the fun.

Myers: What time of year was the trip made?

My biggest worry is weather holding out for the 30-35 hour trip. I have read and heard of lots of horror stories of the Gulf of Alaska seas.
    Agree, that would be a great adventure . Was just wondering about the logistics. I kinda figured that your boat was too big to haul to Homer but just had to ask the question. Hope you are able to pull it off and you'll catch a good break in the weather both ways. Right now I am considering shipping/taking my boat to Petersburg for a job I have to do there next summer.

Default Check the Weather

I have done it several times in a 28' KingFisher. I have a place in Seldovia so I like to leave from there. I usually take most of the day too do it because you get to fish some waters not allot of people can get too. Run two hours fish the Barrens, run two hours fish N Afognak or Marmot Island, Run two hours and you are there. The protection afforded from Afognak Island the Barrens is quite nice. It is a long open water trip from Seward to Kodiak. The harbor master is quite helpful in Kodiak. You can hot bunk there with your boat. All the facilities you could need are in Kodiak.

Have fun and do stop to fish along the way. Be sure to stop in at Kodiak F&G to get your subsistence permits for crab.

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    I have done it several times in a 28' KingFisher. I have a place in Seldovia so I like to leave from there. I usually take most of the day too do it because you get to fish some waters not allot of people can get too. Run two hours fish the Barrens, run two hours fish N Afognak or Marmot Island, Run two hours and you are there. The protection afforded from Afognak Island the Barrens is quite nice. It is a long open water trip from Seward to Kodiak. The harbor master is quite helpful in Kodiak. You can hot bunk there with your boat. All the facilities you could need are in Kodiak.

Have fun and do stop to fish along the way. Be sure to stop in at Kodiak F&G to get your subsistence permits for crab.
    Check your pm box, Doc.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Boating to Kodiak

You shouldn't have any problems in that size a boat. I ran from Seward to Kodiak to go hunting in an older 32 foot Luhrs and returned to Homer where I had a slip. I ran the same boat from Seattle to Seward on the water. Pick your days, its a nice trip to Kodiak.

Made the trip at least half a dozen times back in the late 80s from Homer, early spring and late fall to tender and fish the 24hr derby halibut openers. Vessel was a 66ft steel T-hull stern house single screw except for once in a 33 foot bow picker.
    Defiantly plan your trip around the tides, pick a period where the high low differential is small and try to leave before a falling tide.
    If it were me Iíd hug the coast up to Perl Island than shoot across.
    Have a single side band, VHF is unreliable for weather reports and if you break down itíll save your bacon.
    Call the harbor master for transient moorage information before leaving port.
    The current in the harbor channel can run pretty strong; can catch you off guard if youíre not careful.
    If you cut over to the Shelikof side via Whale Passage go with the tide, it flows like a river.
    Donít trust the weather report beyond 24 to 36hrs and listen to every update.
    Kodiak Islands a fisherman/hunters paradise, youíll have a great time; wish I was going along.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.