Thread: Shrimp Pot Setup Advice

Default Shrimp Pot Setup Advice

Now that we have a boat with a pot puller on it, we're finally going to get into the shrimpin' sport. I've got the traps, leaded line, and buoys and this is what I'm looking to do...please chime in if you have better ideas or tips.

600' leaded ground line

From end tie a loop every 25 feet.

Clip Folding Ladner trap to each loop using SS clip (or shackle?)

Polyform A-2 buoy at other end.

Bait: Plan on using cut herring in bait jars possibly mixed with cat food...(any preferred flavor??)

Should weights be used in the traps? A small anchor at the trap end of the line?

Thanks in advance!

Yes put some weights on the pots also another good thing to do is abour 10 feet from the pot I like to put a weight so when to current is moving to line around it won't bother the pot. I like to use the shrimp balls and soak them in herring oil. Cat food it doesn't matter. Make sure you use more then enough line or your pots will float away.

Default pot question

Why do you do loops at every 25 feet?

From end tie a loop every 25 feet.

Clip Folding Ladner trap to each loop using SS clip (or shackle?)

I usually try and go 50' apart since I've heard the scent field is good for about 25'. Loops are nice if your puller can tolerate them, I use longliner clips which yes eventually slip but they're very simple to add and subtract. I use the wire mesh pots, so rubber coated rebar is permanently mounted in mine -- you should definitely use some weight. I also use 850' lines personally so I can space and fish in 600-700' water. I recommend a rolling garden hose reel for storing your line both on and off the boat -- they're excellent.

Things must be a bit different down here in the southeast portion of the State. I don't add weight to my pots nor use an anchor or weights on the line. The first pot is clipped into an eye spiced at the end of the line, then other pots are added at intervals depending on the number of pots I'm setting.

I like to set around 300ft, so I run 400ft of normal sinking line that goes from the bouy and is spliced into 300ft of my 'groundline' which is actually orange floating poly line. I use the poly on the bottom, hoping it will float off the bottom and avoid getting hung up on rocks. The normal sinking line coming up is to prevent having floating line on the surface, snagging props.

All my line is stored in tubs I made by cutting plastic blue 50gal drums in half.

seems to work...

I also use herring and commercial shrimp bait.

Nice to hear the shrimp are returning in the Sound. Best of luck!

Thumbs up

Thanks Everybody! Great advice! Keep it coming!!!!

99% of our fishing will be in Eastern Prince William Sound.

Man BW...and I thought only the brothers were living the life. Looks like you have a handle on things nicely!

The brothers are doing really good, but there's room for others too.

Default West PWS

I have an 18' Weldcraft. I don't have a pot puller, unless you count my brother, so I fish fairly shallow, 150-175'. I use all lead line. I have 2 round mesh stacker pots that you can get from Deweys. all line and bouy fit in a drilled-with-holes 5 gallon bucket. I tie 1 pot, no weight in it, baited with fish guts in the can. 75' more line, then my 2nd pot, then 200' line to the bouy. I leave it out for at least 1 tide swing. I get about 20-35 shrimp in each pot.

Default Well said...

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW
    The brothers are doing really good, but there's room for others too.
    Well said, well said. I'm sick of living vicariously (spelling?) through the two of them! Can't wait to get back down to that neck of the woods in Nov.

Quote Originally Posted by onthefrinj
    I get about 20-35 shrimp in each pot.
    That's some very good results! Better keep that hole a secret.

Default secret hole isn't too secret

so many bouys out there you'd think all of AK is shrimping! I caught more stripers than spots last week. 27 stripers vs 20 spots. that was a first for me. usually its about a 10 to 1 ratio with spots being majority. do you see a flux where you are?

Quote Originally Posted by onthefrinj
    so many bouys out there you'd think all of AK is shrimping! I caught more stripers than spots last week. 27 stripers vs 20 spots. that was a first for me. usually its about a 10 to 1 ratio with spots being majority. do you see a flux where you are?
    Did you set them in a different area? I've always get a couple 'coons' in the mix, but more so if I set near a muddy bottom. Keeping the pots on a rocky ledge seems to help make sure it's spots we're catching.

Default location

I was a little further out from shore. deeper meant flatter, so your right. I will remember to stay on the rocky slope for larger Spottage.