Thread: nowitna

Default nowitna

Hi! I was just wanting to know how much hunting pressure there is on the south part of the nowitna. Thank you ,TY

Default Variable

Quote Originally Posted by akwolverine View Post
    Hi! I was just wanting to know how much hunting pressure there is on the south part of the nowitna. Thank you ,TY
    Hello Ty,

In my experience out that way the hunting pressure changes from year to year. Your best bet is to speak to the ADFG biologist about that (he has the harvest tickets and knows exactly how many moose are shot in there), and a few air charters that service the area. That should give you a reasonable handle on the situation in the last year or two.

Everyone is looking for moose these days, and the Nowitna is not what it was ten years ago (nothing is out that way), so it's not getting the pressure it was in the past. But there are moose in there and it's still possible to pull off a successful hunt. What it's about now is knowing HOW to hunt the area most effectively, rather than just showing up. In areas of abundance just about anyone can take a moose. But in areas where numbers are down or pressure is up, it takes a savvy hunter to be successful.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by akwolverine View Post
    Short answer is lots of pressure.

We went up the Nowitna about 50 miles before finding a place where there wasn't a camp on every corner. We got one fair bull and passed on another small bull. But yes a lot of pressure for that far to go.

The few times I hunted the area the further south you went the less pressure you would have. It is actually the north end of the Nowitna that gets all the pressure

I agree with Raven. When you stop at the bridge to launch and see around 75-100 trucks and trailers you wonder where they are going. Some are going downstream of the Nowitna and up the Koyukuk, but I bet close to 75% of them are hunting some portion of the Nowitna. Guys I talked to this year said they didn't shoot a moose there, but had chances, and they said lots of others got one. They did say there are quite a few people.