Thread: Glock 21 Conversion to 10mm?

Default Glock 21 Conversion to 10mm?

I've read that you can replace the 45acp barrel with a 10mm conversion barrel in the Glock 21. Does anyone have any experience with this and ran into any problems? Are there any other components that would need to be changed out, such as the spring or extractor?

i dont see how this would work? the 21 is a 45 caliber and the 10mm is a .40 caliber the mag, extractor and springs would all be different along with the barrel. I would see more possibility in converting a 10 to a 40 s+w but never heard of the 21 to 20 swap

I don’t see how you could get around replacing the extractor. This is however a very easy job. Except for that you would also need to swap out the barrel and mags. All other parts are the same including the recoil spring.

I opted to use one of the wolf aftermarket springs and solid steel guide rods. They sell a calibration kit with a factory 17lb, 19, 20, and 22lb springs. With the 22lb spring and Blazer 200 grain at 1050fps I managed to plow thought 75 rounds before I had my first short stroke. Just goes to show you how under-sprung these guns are. I finally settled on the 20lb spring for increased reliability.

Also might want to look at the “9X25 Dillon” if you’re a reloader.

Dan

It can be done.

You will need to replace the bbl, extractor, and mags.

Check out glocktalk.com, I'm sure more than a few folks on there have done this.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Now that looks like a good reason to just buy another glock.

Pietaster,

Have you had any reliability trouble since switching to the 20lb spring? Have you had any trouble with the ramp causing feeding problems? I read the ramps are sloped differently and could be an issue.

I've been looking around to find a good price on a 10mm but heard of this conversion and thought it could be a good way to get a 10mm and a .45 at the same time. I know the 10mm to 40 cal is a trouble free conversion but I already have a .40 so the .45 conversion looked pretty tempting. I just want to make sure it is reliable first.

Thanks for the feed back.

No I have had no problems since I settled on the 20lb spring. I used a wolf solid steel (non captured) guide and purchased one of their calibration kits.

The heaviest spring was the 22lb and after somewhere around 75 rounds of Blazer 200 grain I got my first short stroke. By short stroke I mean the slide didn’t travel back far enough to completely strip the next round off the magazine. It was at this point that I put in the 20 pound spring and fired another 200 rounds without a problem.

You can definitely feel the difference between the factory Glock 17lb spring the the 20 and 22lb springs. I would day if you are going to load up hot hand loads start with the 22lb pound spring and work your way down.

I’m going to try out some gold dot 180 grain at 1295 fps with the 22lb spring and see how it works out. I would think that lighter projectiles even if fired at faster velocities would produce less recoil impulse and would therefore require lighter spring. However I personally like the heavier projectiles.

I also should add that my glock is a factory 10mm Glock 20.

Dan