Thread: Need help working up loads fro 22-250

Default Need help working up loads fro 22-250

Just getting started working up loads for a 22-250 Weatherby Vanguard, 1/14 twist. I was looking to see if any one had a good bullet and powder choice that I could start with. This gun will be used for varmit hunting. Thanks in advance.

I've had good luck with H380 and RL-15 with 50gr V-Max's & 55gr Nosler Balistic Tips. The 50gr V-Max's shoot amazingly well in several of my rifles.

52 grn mhp bergers on top of 35.5 grns of 4064 makes a one hole group for me at 100 yrds and thats what I use dog hunting.I tried the v max and I hade a splash on a coyote and a loooong tracking job.I use bergers in my 22-250 and 17 mach IV.I use the 60 grn v max in my 223 and at slower vel I havnt had any splashes.

Like Dan already mentioned, I have mostly used H380. I have more recently used Varget with excellent results. BTW, these were all with 55 grainers, mostly NBT's fired from a Tikka.

Default 22-250

For the heavier varmints in AK. I think I would try the Barnes TSX 45 grain bullet. It's designed for the 22-250 and 220 swift with 1-14" twist. They make a heavier TSX in 22 caliber but 1-14"twist may or may not stabilize it.
    At 200 and under yards my friend gets complete penetration on Texas whitetail deer from his 22-250, without excessive damage.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default 22-250

Thanks for the info. I now have a good place to start.

Default Varget & Nosler

You may have already found a pet load. However, my perfect recipe for my Weatherby Vanguard 22-250 is a 45 gr. Nosler solid base on top of 36.5gr. of Varget. I love Varget, it's stable in all temps and consistent.

Smile Varget

Quote Originally Posted by aufevermike View Post
    You may have already found a pet load. However, my perfect recipe for my Weatherby Vanguard 22-250 is a 45 gr. Nosler solid base on top of 36.5gr. of Varget. I love Varget, it's stable in all temps and consistent.
    I use Varget in my .22-250 also and I really am happy with it. I will also throw in another vote for the Barnes TSX.

Another fan o' Varget. I'm pretty sure I use 36.5 gr with 55 gr ballistic tips, and 40 gr with 40 gr Vmax. Double check with a book...I'm going off the top of my head and haven't loaded any in awhile so my numbers might be off.