Thread: bear calling?

Default bear calling?

Just wondering who here has done any bear calling and if so were you successful? interior or costal? Blackies or brown/ Grizz? What call fawn bleat, moose calf, bear call?

Did a search and didn't find much info. Thought it might be a usefull tool for those thick areas with few openings or for large areas like river valleys.

I have used a rabbit distress call before on black bear. It work good for me a few times.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Ready for a little adventure huh?

I've called in a few Blackie's with a mouth call... It gets interesting real quick!

I went on a stalk up a mountain for a huge black bear in the spring of '05 with a good friend and his apprentice from work. I spotted it on the mountain up pretty high, we put the stalk on and couldn't get close enough because of the thick alders and wind! So he went up the mountain further for a better view and returned shaking his head. We could have crawled through the alders to get closer, but thought better against it.

Before giving up completely I told my buddy to hang tight and get ready. I squeezed the life out of that poor rabbit and here it came in short order, the alder's were moving in our direction then turned down mountain toward a tree nearby. Then 2 cubs the size of squirrels jolted up the tree, and there stood Momma about 20 yards and MAD.... and blocking our departure path! Everything eventually worked out, once she figured out we weren't killing her babies......

Just know that if you are gonna call bears in be prepared to protect yourself as they are coming to eat!

- Clint

Clint,

I was wondering about that, I have heard how moose can come running right up. just getting tired of situations like you mentioned. Seems like I will never get a grizzly due to them dissapearing in the alders or me not being able to get within shooting range because of the alders. Thanks for the input.

Rob

Don't think my heart could take calling in the alders. :-)
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

There was an article about calling coastal brown bears in SE in Alaska Magazine this spring or summer.

Might check your local library...

Yeah I haven't called in a determined griz or brownie yet, but I have a feeling that a .416 would feel mighty small in your hands in the alders in a situation like that!

The only time I've ever used the call is when I've seen the bear and know he's close. I was within' 30 yards of that sow when I used the call and she was headin' my way in a matter of seconds.... Also it's been my experience that some respond and other's don't! My buddy had one respond last week that crashed around him for a minute but never exposed itself for a shot. He believes the bear smelled him!

- Clint

Default A good video

broncoformudv,

If you are in the Anchorage/Mat-su area, I have a good video about bear calling if you would like to borrow it. It shows some methods and some good views of bear reactions.

Let me know.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Didn't mean to give the impression that I wanted to call while I was in the alders. I have a 375 and have to agree that close quarters with any bear is more than I like. Just had a sow grizz monday night stand up on here hind legs 10 feet from my wife and I while out hunting. She and her cubs had been eating berries on the otherside of an alder patch on the hillside, due to the steepness of the hill we failed to see or hear her. My dog was running in and out chasing ptarmigan and came running out with the sow right behind her. Go figure my rifle and pistol where 20 feet above me in camp. Luckily she turned and ran away with her cubs in tow.My dog never gave any hints or reacted at all till the bear stood up then she turned and started growling back.

When the bears that I have called in came in they came in with authority and meaning to do bussiness to that poor old bunny. This is a sight to see.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK