Thread: What phase of the moon do you prefer?

Default What phase of the moon do you prefer?

My up coming trip to Alaska in July will be my first. Where I fish in local waters the new and full moon tides can play havoc on the fishing. I'm wondering if this holds true in Alaska for halibut? Which moon phase is preferred for halibut? I'll be fishing out of Petersburg.

Quote Originally Posted by NY_Fishhound View Post
    My up coming trip to Alaska in July will be my first. Where I fish in local waters the new and full moon tides can play havoc on the fishing. I'm wondering if this holds true in Alaska for halibut? Which moon phase is preferred for halibut? I'll be fishing out of Petersburg.
    That sounds funny, but you can check out a tide book for whichever area you plan on fishing. Most of the tidebooks I've seen have a fish size chart next to each day. Little Fish = Poor Fishing, Big Fish = Good Fishing. I believe you can find them on the internet, not sure about 2009. One thing to think about, I don't think you have to have a good tide to catch nice 'buts, just have a knowledgeable guide or buddy that knows what he is doing. Just being out on the water with good people is always a good day spent, IMO.
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Default 2nd growden's opinion...

just getting out there is great!
    However, as you've found, moon phase, tides do have a role in determining the moods/biting times of fish; sounds like you're in NY, I live on Kauai and the guy who I fish with (he's been fishing here seriously since 1974) is constantly aware of the moon phases & tide changes. I'm sure that those things apply worldwide??? According to Mike, the best time for fishing (trolling species) is 3-4 days of a full or dark moon and during a tide change; we don't have big tide changes here, but he swears all that info is important. In fact, I've been fishing with him enough to see these things happen. When I comment that the bite is slow, he comes back with, "sure, the tide is slack right now". We don't always have the luxury of going fishing when "things" are perfect, but from fishing with him the last year, I see the results.
    I don't understand all this stuff too well yet, but I'm paying more attention!!!
    Good luck,
    Jim

Default tides

Fishing inside waters of Southeast during the more radical tides can be frustrating.
    Lots of trash in the water, currents ripping, anchoring is difficult, even trolling is a challenge.

Do-able but I much prefer the week before.

I prefer a summer moon above all else.

Default Moon

What I always look at is the amount of water that is moving during the tide change. If there is to much current I can not fish in high current area's I will then go to a different area that has less current. Different area's like Deep Creek I always fished slack tide for Halibut and Hight Tide for Kings. I think the biggest factor that you can not predict is the weather.

Talking

While the tides are important, I have found through 50 years of experience that the best time to fish is inside a window that is within 2 weeks either side of a full moon. Every fish i have ever caught has been in that window.