Thread: Long Lake?

Default Long Lake?

Has anyone been out on Long Lake (Glenn Hwy) yet?

Conditions? Reports?

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default i havent

but am itchin to get out there. i might actually go after some pike at the other long lake in willow. so many places to go.

it started to freeze halloween weekend the cove was completly froze and the far end was getting hard. lake louise froze up and has 6 inchs throughout so If you go i would bring your gear as it is probably ready.

I drove by on my way to do some rabbit hunting. Looked like it was froze.I think you would be safe to fish the drop off just past the first pull out after the access. but at the other end over the deep water it looked like there were open spots. I didn't get out to check but I would be vary cautious as you walk down the lake much past there.

will be heading to lake louise this weekend will stop and check and report back.

Mark

I drove by it yesterday on my way to ice fish in the Lake Louise area. It's iced over, but looked a bit weak. I'd give it a week or so.

The ice was 2" to 10" thick on the small lakes in the Lake Louise area.

People are snowmobiling across Lake Louise over to Lake Susitna already.

well mark any luck at louise?

Mark

Yeah. We were fishing some of the smaller lakes in the area; mostly exploring.

One lake (stocked by ADFG) is loaded with rainbows, but they were all smaller in size...........about 13" to 14". We threw all those back. We kept one 20", and one grayling.

They're awful pretty fish; very brightly colored.

The lakes described here are the ones we're checking out up there. We've caught fish in nearly every one we've tried, even if they tend to be on the small side. Every once in a while comes along a nice surprise in the 20" or better category.

I was spearing northern on long lake in willow last weekend and it had about 7 inches of ice. Did not see anyone else out there. Saw only two pike and both were real small. May try again this weekend.