Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Wooldridge Alaskan XL video

  1. #1

    Default Wooldridge Alaskan XL video

    They just loaded the video of their load test on the web. There are stats on the page to correspond to the test. I would like to see a 250 HO test with a 23ft boat.
    They are working on adding more videos for other models on their web page.

    http://www.wooldridgeboats.com/boats/alaskanxl.htm


  2. #2

    Default Test stats

    Here are the test numbers for the video above.
    Performance Data: 20' AK XL 150 E-tec 7 3/8 Jet
    (580lbs. payload)
    RPM MPH GPH MPG
    1500 5.3 0.1 53
    2000 6.7 0.2 33.5
    2500 7.5 1.2 6.25
    3000 17.2 3.7 3.08
    3500 22.95 6.0 3.83
    4000 27.9 7.95 3.51
    4500 32.4 10.5 3.09
    5000 36.6 13.7 2.67
    5100 38.15 14.1 2.71
    (2200lbs. payload)
    4000 11.5 7.65 1.5
    4500 25.7 10.5 2.45
    5000 31.25 13.7 2.28
    5100 32 14.1 2.27
    (3000lbs. payload)
    5000 25.9 13.7 1.89
    5100 28.05

  3. #3
    Member Yukoner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Whitehorse Yukon
    Posts
    1,345

    Default

    Thats an amazing load, but looking at the test numbers on the 20'AkII with a 150 ETEC, it gets better #s all across the board with an 800lb test load as compared to the AKXLs 580 lb test.
    I wonder if the 20' AKII would be able to handle that load?
    Looks like the AKXL is getting on step at about 3500RPM or so, so thats pretty good cruising numbers with a light load.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Thats an amazing load, but looking at the test numbers on the 20'AkII with a 150 ETEC, it gets better #s all across the board with an 800lb test load as compared to the AKXLs 580 lb test.
    I wonder if the 20' AKII would be able to handle that load?
    Looks like the AKXL is getting on step at about 3500RPM or so, so thats pretty good cruising numbers with a light load.
    Yukoner
    That test the "Performance report on the WB website" was with a 23ft Alaskan II 150 Etec, this boat above is only a 20'10 inch long one, that 3 ft really makes a difference in load hauling= lower rpm and gas consumption#.
    How does this compare to other OB jets/boats? Any input from other owners?

  5. #5
    Member Akgramps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last civilized place on the planet
    Posts
    2,080

    Default

    That is a heck of a load, but man it sucks some fuel
    10.5 GPH to stay on step with 2200 pounds!!
    13.7 GPH for 3000 pounds & thats at 25 mph!!
    Thats going to take a lot of fuel if you want to take a long trip.
    I am sure the AK II would haul 2200 pound, probably close to the 3000 with the 175 e-tecs I see on them around Fbks.
    I think the wider hulls will haul more, but you pay a penalty in fuel usage for all that wetted surface.
    Maybe the point was just how much it would haul w/o a big motor?
    I wonder what the results would look like w/ a 200 or 250 HP???

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    65

    Default

    That is a bit of fuel for that size of boat. I had a 24' Alumaweld with a 200hp 4-stroke yamaha and it was only burning like 10.5 gph at a cruise of 27-28 knots.

    Nice boat though.
    Ryan Tollefsen
    Prudential Jack White Vista Real Estate

    Alaska Real Estate
    Anchorage Real Estate

  7. #7
    Member Yukoner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Whitehorse Yukon
    Posts
    1,345

    Default

    I'm guessing that they were using the 150 just to make a point. I would expect that, like sportdrifter said, it would do much better with a larger engine on it, like that 250
    The fact that it would get on step with 3000Lbs with a 150 speaks volumes on the hull design.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    That is a heck of a load, but man it sucks some fuel
    10.5 GPH to stay on step with 2200 pounds!!
    13.7 GPH for 3000 pounds & thats at 25 mph!!
    Thats going to take a lot of fuel if you want to take a long trip.
    I am sure the AK II would haul 2200 pound, probably close to the 3000 with the 175 e-tecs I see on them around Fbks.
    I think the wider hulls will haul more, but you pay a penalty in fuel usage for all that wetted surface.
    Maybe the point was just how much it would haul w/o a big motor?
    I wonder what the results would look like w/ a 200 or 250 HP???
    That is the point on just a 20 ft boat with a 150 jet/105 hp they hauled this load.

    If you remember a year or so back they used a 20ft Alaskan II with 2800 lbs in it to test with and a 200 Etec, the 2800 is all it would get up with.
    The new Alaskan XL has the same amount of bottom on a 20ft boat when it is running as the old 23ft Alaskan II has. So a 23ft Alaskan XL with a 200 hp engine/jet should haul a lot more. What did you think of the Video? It is on the bottom of the web page under Multimedia.

  9. #9
    Member Yukoner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Whitehorse Yukon
    Posts
    1,345

    Default

    The video cetainly shows the boat well. It looks like its cruising right along.
    That would be an amazing hull design on an 18' foot boat, or maybe an 18.5'. Ultimate small, tight river moose boat.
    Why doesn't Wooldridge use Sport Jets??

  10. #10
    Member Akgramps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last civilized place on the planet
    Posts
    2,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sport drifter View Post
    That is the point on just a 20 ft boat with a 150 jet/105 hp they hauled this load.

    If you remember a year or so back they used a 20ft Alaskan II with 2800 lbs in it to test with and a 200 Etec, the 2800 is all it would get up with.
    The new Alaskan XL has the same amount of bottom on a 20ft boat when it is running as the old 23ft Alaskan II has. So a 23ft Alaskan XL with a 200 hp engine/jet should haul a lot more. What did you think of the Video? It is on the bottom of the web page under Multimedia.
    I dont remember the test w/ the 200 Etec, mostly what I see around here are 175 Etecs on the AKII 20's. I would like to know how they perform w/ load and GPH/ MPG.
    The video was cool, with that type of fuel burn it seems like the boat is entering the realm of air boats, which can be very impressive at load hauling, their shortcoming is always range. trying to haul more fuel has diminishing returns.
    My 20 foot boat w/ 140 four stroke, and 2000 pounds in the boat burns between 5.8 and 6.2 GPH at 28 mph, it seems its a decent load and fuel consumption is reasonable.
    I guess the bottom line is, there is no free ride, if you want to haul a big load you gotta pay for it.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    120

    Default Have they put a 50hp on it yet?

    I would like to see how this boat does with a 50hp, it would make a great boat for the Kenai.

  12. #12

    Default Kenai model

    Quote Originally Posted by SockeyOrange View Post
    I would like to see how this boat does with a 50hp, it would make a great boat for the Kenai.
    They just finished up one for the kenai 50hp Yamaha,console, 4 slider seats along the sides, with a huge fish box, big enough to get in and shut the lid down on your self. They ran it with 5 guys 3 over 250 lbs and the others around 200lbs it ran 27 mph on the lake gps#. I will try and get some pics soon, this boat should be in this years boat show.

    Hey AK Gramps are you running the big block impeller in your engine, with the gear reduction in the Suzuki's I thought you can run a 200hp impeller in your 140?
    Reed on here has the 175 Etec on a 20 alaskan II he might have some info.

  13. #13
    Member Akgramps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last civilized place on the planet
    Posts
    2,080

    Default

    [Hey AK Gramps are you running the big block impeller in your engine, with the gear reduction in the Suzuki's I thought you can run a 200hp impeller in your 140?
    Reed on here has the 175 Etec on a 20 alaskan II he might have some info.[/quote]

    Sportdrifter,
    It is a 140 Johnson made by Suzuki w/ the gear reduction at the powerhead, so yes, I was told its a "super pump"? w/ the 7-5/8 impeller.
    Very happy w/ the setup, good on fuel and very quiet.

  14. #14

    Default Sport Jets

    Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    The video cetainly shows the boat well. It looks like its cruising right along.
    That would be an amazing hull design on an 18' foot boat, or maybe an 18.5'. Ultimate small, tight river moose boat.
    Why doesn't Wooldridge use Sport Jets??
    Well, what they have told me is that they don't like all the noise,vibration, less room in the boat, and they feel they can get better performance and handling=less cavitation most SJ have a huge tunnel in them, out of the OB Jets they set up.
    With the load testing they do and fuel consumption reporting they try and show the difference.
    If you listen closely in the video you hear them talking about the 2000 lbs in the boat being compared to a Suzuki Samurai in the boat, remember the Sport John commercial when they were hauling a little Suzuki Samurai in one?.
    I know Glen has driven an XS on the Chena and said it was louder with the top up than down and he told me while in my Sport Drifter that it cornered better than the XS he drove, we were shooting video up at my cabin playing in little islands with lots of tight 90 deg corners you could zig zag through up by the canyon. The boat shop said they hauled 3500 lbs in an XS with a 200 or 250 not sure which one? The Alaskan XL just had 105HP at the jet.
    After they added up the weight in the video shoot above they had closer to 3200 in that boat with the barrels at 55 gal,not 50 and not including the weight of the barrels, they also just figured the water at 8 lbs instead of 8.35 so if you used an 200 or 250 OB I think they could haul just as much or more that the SJ boats do, I haven't heard anybody give some REAL weight test number yet?

  15. #15
    Member Yukoner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Whitehorse Yukon
    Posts
    1,345

    Default

    When you say 150, it doesn't really put it into perspective, however, 105 at the jet and 3000lbs, thats saying something! Unbelievable really.
    I looked at the numbers again, and it actually looks to be getting on step with 580lbs at about 3000 rpm/17mph. So say with a 175 or a 200 on it, you would be cruising along with just people and gear at about 4-5 GPH? Load it up, and of course you have to expect to pay, but man, i'm more and more impressed with that rig.
    For me, i think i still want an Extra Plus or a Sport just to handle the lakes a bit better, although an Alaskan XL in 18-19' would be just perfect.
    I was just curious at their reasons for not using the SJ. I certainly can't argue the performance with the OBJ, i can get it to cavitate, but i have to work on it. Even on lakes i the chop, it is rare that it does cavitate, fins on or off.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    120

    Default Switching motors.....

    Is it hard to switch motors....I may be dreaming here but I would love to have my 50hp for the Kenai and a big jet for everything else. Anyone have any experience swapping motors mid season? Maybe I just need two boats.... Better make it 3!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •