Thread: Christmas recommendations

Default Christmas recommendations

The family wants a Christmas list from me and I've been wanting to do some prospecting for some time now, so I figure this might be a good start on a detector.

If you could have only one detector and it would have to be under $1000 what would you want to own?

Thanks

kingfishetktn

I would go with the white's dfx in the E series or your basic 2500 in garrett ... the lower end garretts are nice and the add-on are great for personalization to what your looking for...

me personally I would look for a highbanker or a dredge (just because I can include the kids in a family outing with it..) If it's only gold your looking for ...

If its your first MD it will take alot of practice and research to get the refinement down.. understanding these machines is the hardest part... (for me anyway)

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    me personally i would look for a highbanker or a dredge (just because i can include the kids in a family outing with it..) if it's only gold your looking for ...
    yup, good advise!

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    yup, good advise!
    Agreed, but for a gold only detector here in AK I'd go with the Gold Bug II
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Talking Gift Idea?

The Garrett 250 is pretty sweet, easy to use and you don't have to be a programmer or take courses. Around $240 at AMDS.
    Of course if the budget is larger, go with the dredge! Heck, throw in the Garrett as an add on!

Hello,

I would agree with Vance. The Gold Bug II is a pretty good machine. Trade offs like everything else but a machine that will sound accurately on small shallow targets.

I have heard that the GB II machines hitting the market more recently are not of the same quality that had previously been made. I am sure Steve H at Alaska Mining and Dive in Anchorage continues to be huge help with people looking for machines.

Good luck,

Bruce
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

I have a GB II and a White's GMT. For somebody new, I would recommend a GMT with the addition on a 6" inch coil and headset(This would be right at $1000.00).
    Are you as unimpressed with my signature block as I am with yours?

ANTON:

Thanks.

Are you familiar at all with the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq? Does it fit the bill for a gold and relic finder.

Plus or minus over the GBII?

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    ANTON:

Thanks.

Are you familiar at all with the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq? Does it fit the bill for a gold and relic finder.

Plus or minus over the GBII?
    The GB2 isn't really for relics and I would not say that it would be a good detector for teaching someone new. I would say yes to the Supertraq, but you will want to get a small coil for it. Small coils work much better for finding the finer gold in Alaska. Also the Tesoro has automatic ground balancing, which is a plus. Call Alaska mining and diving and they will be willing to answer your questions much better than I can.
    Are you as unimpressed with my signature block as I am with yours?

Thanks for your help.

kingfisherktn
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 11-17-2008 at 17:45. Reason: spelling