Thread: Which 1911 For Carry

Default Which 1911 For Carry

I'm going to be buying a 1911 for a concealed carry gun. I had a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry before that I carried in a Galco shoulder holster. I liked the gun, but not the way I carried it so much. Looking at a Kimber Pro CDP and a different way to carry it. Comments on both choices are welcome. I feel less and less safe when traveling to Los Anchorage:-) Also would welcome information on defensive pistol classes offered in the state.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    I'm going to be buying a 1911 for a concealed carry gun. I had a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry before that I carried in a Galco shoulder holster. I liked the gun, but not the way I carried it so much. Looking at a Kimber Pro CDP and a different way to carry it. Comments on both choices are welcome. I feel less and less safe when traveling to Los Anchorage:-) Also would welcome information on defensive pistol classes offered in the state.
    I have carried strong side on the belt for over 25 years now. Mostly custom holsters. Milt Sparks specificly. http://www.miltsparks.com/

For most descrete carry I use the summer special, and the summer special II. Some folks just can't find the sweet spot for a comfort inside the pants carry.

Outside the pants, hi ride is the most comfy........I carry a Night Hawk Talon 2 with a bobtail 90% of the time these days. The bobtail makes quite a difference for carry as it does not print as much.

i think the .45 kimber 3", pick your model is a good choice. if you can get away with it a 4" model is better. in winter that is easier. not sure if you are interested in small calibers? springfield emp 9mm is another good choice. plenty out there to choose from .

as far as classes. i took Defensive Handgun I through AK Tactical on Muldoon in Anchorage. usually given friday night in classroom, all day sat and sunday at birchwood range just north of anchorage. a little expensive when you figure in over 500 rnds of ammo, but worth it. i learned a lot and it will give you some fundamental skills to build upon. they then offer a level II as well.
    highly suggest the class. good luck

I think Kimbers are the worst quality of the major 1911 makers out there. YMMV as to other small ones.

I personally have a custom Colt defender. Its just as easy for me (and I'm short and fat) to conceal my full size BHP, SIG 210 or Colt Government than it is to conceal the Defender. YMMV, thats when I even bother to carry as

I feel less and less safe when traveling to Los Anchorage:-)
    You have never lived in Houston or NYC I see

Kimber Covert II. Easy to conceal and very accurate. Cost is a little high.

Default Kimber UltraCarry II 3" Stainless/Alum.

This is what I finally ended up with. I went through several carry guns, Taurus PT145, S & W J frame snub, Taurus 24/7 in 9mm, Taurus 1911 Gov., Each was either too heavy or too many rounds or not enough rounds. Both of the Taurus were nice and light until you put a mag with half a box of ammo in it and I just can't get used to the striker type triggers either. So... I found the 3" Kimber and at 23 oz.s and 8 rounds of 45 it is okay. I carry it in a Galco Fletch almost every day. Not a bad price at $800. Very accurate and recoil is not that bad. I have not had a FTF or malfunction. I put a nice set of Esmerelda's grips and Trijicon night sights on it. I really wanted (and still may) to try the smallest Kahr 9mm or one of the Smith J frame ultralights. I went to Sportmans the other night and the guy handed me one of those and I thought he had handed me a plastic toy gun. Very, very light in .357. Be an awesome carry gun though. You would probably forget you had it on. But only five rounds. Which is ok if you only need one.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    You have never lived in Houston or NYC I see
    Or Oakland! *eye twitch*

Quote Originally Posted by Jason762 View Post
    Or Oakland! *eye twitch*
    I would drive around that place so as not to go in...

But I'll beat ya...

I used to go to Detroit regularly

Anchorage is a garden of eden....