Thread: Choices

Default Choices

Well, after purchasing The Gun Digest Blackpowder Loading Manual (unable to find Lymans), and reading it a couple of times I see that there are many choices to be made; one smokepole isn't going to cut it !

Before reading on the subject I thought perhaps I would be happy with getting a .54 mainly for BG and loading down for SG, plinking and targets. I think what I may do is get a .58 for BG and a .32 for the rest and to get started. These would be traditional rifles. From what I have read, projectiles seem to be fairly available though I intend to get into casting my own a little down the road anyhow.

Any thoughts or experiences, good or bad about these options ?

Good choices all the way down the line in my book. I use my 58 with reduced loads for small game when I want field time with it, but truthfully the 32 is a whole lot more fun. And since I bought my two 58's, my 54's are mostly gathering dust. Do you "need" a 58 rather than a 54 for big game? Probably not, but I sure like having that big old 58 cal ball rolling down the barrel when the game is big.

Default Lyman book

I also had a grievous time trying to find the Lyman book - went to Amazon, B&N, even the local little guy to special order, no dice. Guess gun book are "illegal" to some folks

I ended up calling Lyman directly via their 800 number, and ordered with a credit card on the phone - it showed up today. Nice folks, easy transaction, chatted for 15 minutes about their rifles vs "the other guys", etc. If you're looking for that specific book, might want to give them a call. Book was $20.50, S/H was $11.50, got here from America in 4-5 days via Priority Mail.

Mike

I did the same thing you did, Brasebear, short of calling Lyman . The Gun Digest book is a good one, Sam Fadala authored this one as well. He seems to be the leading authority on blackpowder from what I can tell thus far into my research.

I will order from Lyman their book in a short time... one can never have to many loading manuals anyhow.

The challenge now seems to be locating a TC Big Boar and a TC Cherokee. They have been discontinued and I have been unable to find them for sale used thus far.

Any other suggestions on a .58 that can handle the load a Big Boar can ?
    Does anyone have an opinion on the Cherokee or the Traditions Crocket .32 ?

Quote Originally Posted by 338WM View Post
    The challenge now seems to be locating a TC Big Boar and a TC Cherokee. They have been discontinued and I have been unable to find them for sale used thus far.

Any other suggestions on a .58 that can handle the load a Big Boar can ?
    Does anyone have an opinion on the Cherokee or the Traditions Crocket .32 ?
    I haven't seen a Big Boar for sale in a long time. In fact, I would have bought it if I had. CVA had a very similar 58, but that too is scarce. I'd keep my eyes on The Gun Works and Track of the Wolf, two of the bigger and most reputable used gun sources. At one time Green Mountain barrels made a 1" drop-in 58 caliber for the TC Renegade and 1" Hawken. Picking up either of those in another caliber and adding the 58 caliber would be a good option. GM also makes a 32 caliber drop-in for the models, but due to outside diameter and small bore, it's incredibly heavy.

Given my pick, I'd take the Cherokee any day over the Traditions. I've got the Traditions Crockett and it is nowhere near as well made. The Gun Works had either a Cherokee or a Seneca 32 recently, and may still have it. I'd take either one. They also had a CVA 32, as I recall.

I'll keep my eyes open.

I just checked and it's a 36 caliber Seneca at The Gun Works rather than a 32 cal Cherokee. They do have a 32 cal CVA Squirrel. There are quite a few Renegades listed, if you want to go that route. They don't have either a TC or CVA 58 in their production rifles at the moment. There are usually some 58's in their custom gun section, though I didn't check that far.

Track of the Wolf has a dandy looking 58 cal custom Hawken for just over $800. Looks like a good buy to me, but who knows till you see it. They've also got a couple of good looking 32's in there at reasonable looking prices.

Exclamation

man, that .58 at TOW sure is a purty shootin' iron!!!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/