Thread: Mulchatna Caribou

Default Mulchatna Caribou

Did anyone hunt Mulchatna Caribou this year? Any observations on herd size, bull/cow ration, range conditions, etc?

Default 'Bou Be Gone

I was in the heart of unit 17B for 25 days in September '08 hunting everything but caribou with my client-hunters. Where there were hundreds and thousands of migrating caribou in this area between 1990 through 2002....I observed 4 this year. Not 400 hundred. Not 4000. But 4, four, IV. In addition, the White Caribou Lichen is about 1/1000 of what it used to be. It has died, turned to dust and blown away. The tundra hills that were mostly white lichen (caribou food) are now regular green tundra.

Following Sep '06 and Sep '07 there were fairly long threads concerning this issue. Sadly, what is in the archives has not changed.

Dennis
    Alaska True Adventure Guide Service

Default bad shape

i two spent some days in the heartland of the bou,the shotgun hills.last yr we saw close to 3000 in small groups with 100 or so being the biggest,a far cry from the thousands we had been use to seeing.that was the worst we have seen until this yr.we saw no more then 40 and the biggest herd was 9.although on the chit were i have been hunting/guideing the liken is in good shape and plenty of it.jim woolington with f&g had an excellent presentation on the crash at the last nushagak advisory meeting and the big game in fairbanks.sounds like it will be a long time before this herd gets back on its feet.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the response. I hunted out there for many years and was curious how it was.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Quote Originally Posted by gusuk1 View Post
    i two spent some days in the heartland of the bou,the shotgun hills.last yr we saw close to 3000 in small groups with 100 or so being the biggest,a far cry from the thousands we had been use to seeing.that was the worst we have seen until this yr.we saw no more then 40 and the biggest herd was 9.although on the chit were i have been hunting/guideing the liken is in good shape and plenty of it.jim woolington with f&g had an excellent presentation on the crash at the last nushagak advisory meeting and the big game in fairbanks.sounds like it will be a long time before this herd gets back on its feet.
    Just out of curiousity, what was the F&G consensus for what led to the rapid decline? More than 1 influence?

Default some of the reasons

a couple reasons for the decline in the herd.. wolfs and bears and hunters,the hoof rot and lack of mature animals (breeders).the biggest problem facing the herd is the lack of mature cows.
    Last edited by gusuk1; 11-10-2008 at 17:39. Reason: misselling