Thread: New and Frustrated...

Default New and Frustrated...

I just set my first line since i was about 10 years old let it sit for 4 days and had nothing but stolen bait...Apparently I do not know what i'm doing and have some questions and am looking for advice. Can anyone help me? lol

What are you tryin to catch???

Supporting Member

Default Help

Let us know what methods you are using and for what species and we'll see if we can get you pointed in the right direction. It will get better!

Get the Alaska Trappers Handbook from the ATA and Dean Wilsons book on Alaska trapping. Those are two of the best I've seen on trapping Alaska conditions. You might try to contact the ATA to see if some in your area could give you some hands on experience. When I started trapping up here it took me several seasons before things started to come together.
    Chuck

Also check out trapperman.com. they have a reference section that will show different sets. Your bait could be getting stolen by gray jays if its out in the open.

Thanks
    Calr

what are you trying to catch? what types of sets? what stole your bait? (i.e. target critters digging up your traps, avoiding the trap and sneaking in from the back or sides, did birds or small critters take your bait?) what type of tracks even came close to the sets?

Default what i did.

I bassically was setting for mink. I burried and covored 1 #4 double long spring on a rabbit trail hopping for a cat. I bassically set 10 traps along the river bank in cubbies and a few of them i threw herring in the back and a few I just used lure. I know that one of the fish was chewed by mice. Other then that the baits were gone and I was unable to identify and specific tracks because the area was littered with tracks and i tried to place them where the tracks already were. I just bot another dozen traps and some snares and plan on returning again in a day or two.

If there are alot of voles and shrews, your bait will be eaten quickly. Maybe in a day. All that wil be left will be fish skin and little turds.
    I would recommend some books and some time spent on trapperman's wilderness living forum. Should be useable pics on trapperman.
    Mink sets should probably be close to the water. Lynx sets can be up on the bank. If lynx are in the area, you would be wise to also use snares.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Have you seen mink tracks at all? You can't get the animals if there are none. It might 2 to 3 weeks to get something. If is was that easy everyone would be doing it. I use beaver meat and fish for mink. I also use some stong lure. As for the cats, use cubbies. There is a big learning curve when it comes to trapping. I learn every time you go out. Get a few books and go on the internet. There is tons of info out there. Keep good notes on what works and what doesn't. Just placing a blind set on a rabbit trail will not produce cats that often. You will end up with a rabbit. Most of all don't get mad have fun with it. Look at tracks and see how and where the animal steps. That is one thing that trapping has taught me. Pay attention to the tracks and your sets. K-9s you have to stay clean. I have 12 pairs of gloves and change them out after making a few sets. Join the Alaska Trapper association. They put out a book that has great info in it too.

Default in the area

Yes ive seen mink, marte, wolf, wolverine, fox. I have a lot of reaserch to do which is how ive started...but i figure it cant hurt to have traps on the ground before i know what im doing?

Default mink

for mink if you are useing conibears and boxes, try pan triggers, mink will sometimes not go into cubbies or boxes if they have to go thru the regular coni trigger. beaver meat is probably the best bait to use up north here, good luck!! if you see tracks, keep at it and you will do OK

Thumbs up Dont get frustrated

I hadnt set a trap in 15 years until a few years ago. I did connect that first season with some martin but i figured it would take atleast the first year to get back into it. Lots of good advice from other posts. Good luck Hillbilly