Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back-ups

Default Back-ups

I know that many of us archers prefer to hunt alone. With bow in hand, how many of you carry a back-up such as a revolver when in blackie country.

I have a few options: Carry a back-up rifle on the pack. Carry an Encore pistol (7mm/08) just in case the bow shot does not happen. Or carry the .44 revolver for bears. (could also carry a Contender in 30/30, .44 mag., .445 Supermag or .357 Max.)

Not brownie hunting here. Hunting goats, sheep and deer.

Carry a back-up or just the bow?

In bear country while bow hunting, I always would carry my 45 colt blackhawk. If I was hunting in big brownie territory, I wouldn't hunt alone.

I always carry my .44, never know whe you might need it. My luck the first time I leave it at home is the time I need it.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Carry the .44

I too would carry the .44. It's probably the lighter of the bunch as far as weight and it will give you peace of mind as well when your breaking brush marching through the alders!

Default Alders

I can think of nothing more pleasent that busting through alders and devils club. It really makes my day. Leather gloves are a must and this time of year a short stick knocks the leaves off of the devils club easily as you walk along.

Probably take the .44 with some 225 grain hard cast bullets. I can hit a goat out to 50 yards with that but then again, I can do the same with the bow.

n o backup

Default 44 Mag - Alaskan

I carry backup - not too sure if it's for the four legged critters, or the two legged variety. But, I'm packin' 300 grains of lead in my S&W 329PD (light weight, kicks like a mule, but she'll knock big holes in things if I can keep my wits about me).
    Good hunting.

Default .44 back-up

I carry my .44 Ruger Super Redhawk With a 7.5" barrel with 300 grains of lead for back-up unless I am hunting the Fairbanks Game Management unit.

Default One more

..for the .44 with hard cast bullets.
    Nothing like being caught stalking by a bigger badder stalker!

Default Pepper Spray

I pack a can of bear spray with me if I am hunting up high in Sitka. I have not bumped into to many bears up in goat country. If I am down along the rivers looking for deer I usually take my 44 mag with.

Default Guide Gun

Most anywhere I hunt there's a chance of running into Mr. Grizwald so I take along my 45-70 guide gun and I never feel lonely. 18 inch barrel, weighs 5 1/2 pounds, lays across my back nicely. Just feel alittle under gunned in griz country with my .44...

i usually pack my .454 Casull... it'll stop a locomotive if need be!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sellisrulzz View Post
    i usually pack my .454 Casull... it'll stop a locomotive if need be!!!
    Well, with little more muzzle energy than a 30-30, I doubt it would stop a train...

I find most handguns to be grossly underpowered if a bear truely wants to eat you. I like being light and mobile with my bow and hate things strapped to my waist. My choice is no back up and let the chips fall.

Talking

I used to carry my 44 but I now carry my 500 magnum on all my bow hunts .Never had to pull it out yet on a bow hunt .

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

I carrry my Taurus ultra-lite 44 mag. And I use Garrett 310 Grain Hammerheads. The garrett's are mean and have a lot of recoil but I do believe if I hit a brown bear in the vitals it would stop and kill him.

Kerry

Default Fairbanks GMU????

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan100 View Post
    I carry my .44 Ruger Super Redhawk With a 7.5" barrel with 300 grains of lead for back-up unless I am hunting the Fairbanks Game Management unit.

What's the deal with Fairbanks Game Management Unit? It seems that I have read this other places as well...are there certain restrictions here or what?

All information appreciated!
    bnr

I like using my Ruger .44 mag. It hasn't faild me yet.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Well, with little more muzzle energy than a 30-30, I doubt it would stop a train...

I find most handguns to be grossly underpowered if a bear truely wants to eat you. I like being light and mobile with my bow and hate things strapped to my waist. My choice is no back up and let the chips fall.

go with what you can afford i spose

Default back-up

Just yesterday my son and I headed out to arrow a few grouse. About 40 miles from home I mentioned to my son that I'd forgot to throw in a handgun just in case. Well, sure as heck, about ten minutes into the trail we cross a very fresh grizz track.
    If nothing else..............that handgun gives me peace of mind especially when I have kids with me.
    All ended well but needless to say that bear stayed on my mind the entire time.

I carry my .480 Ruger with hard cast bullets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast