Thread: Scope mounting question....

Default Scope mounting question....

I need some help.....

I have an old Mossberg 640KD Chuckster in .22 mag. that I am trying to mount a Leupold Vari-x II scope on. It has the factory dovetails for a .22 scope (narrow rings), but I want the larger scope for obvious reasons.

One of my problems is adapting the mounts for the larger tube scope. I imagine there are adapter plates, but space is at a premium on this action. Clearing the bolt is a problem and eye relief is difficult to get right since the scope has to be mounted so far forward.

The scope on it now is an OLD 'Alaskan' that just doesn't have the magnification or light gathering that I want. It is deadly accurate out past 100 yds and I would like to use it for predators (with a better scope).

Do you guys have any ideas? Am I just out of luck? I have found some offset bases that would really help with the eye relief, but mounting them is still a problem.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

AKmud, not sure if you have looked at the Leupold mounts for rimfires, #57405 is .96" high, 54289 is 1" and 54286 is 1.25". The other problem is getting a scope with enough extended eye relief to fit. The Leupold Vari X I, 2-7x33 has almost 4" of eye relief. Hope this helps. Mark

Ask a gunsmith if they can install a "weaver style" rail onto the receiver.
    Tennessee

Well....I got er done! I ended up finding a two piece adapter kit from Brownells. The pieces mounted to the 3/8" dovetail and gave me a Weaver style mount to put my offset rings on. We had to do some shimming in the rings to give the reticle adjustments enough room to sight it in. By the time it was done, we had sub 1/2" groups at 100 yds.

I found some 30 gr. ballistic tip Hornady V-max rounds that leave the muzzle at 2200 fps. She shoots about 4" high at 60 yds and is dead zero at 100. It should be a pretty good gun for coyote, fox and lynx.

Now to find a furry target!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....