Thread: Help Me Plan a hunt on the Yukon River next fall

Smile Help Me Plan a hunt on the Yukon River next fall

Hello, I live in Juneau and have been here for the last 18 years. I would really like some suggestions planning a hunt on the Yukon River or Upper Susitna. Somewhere DRY. I love Alaska, have 2 young boys 10 and 12. We would like to tow our riverboat up there for a 10day hunt next September. We have a 20ft river jon with tunnel, and a 115jet. Anyone who can help with some ideas about where to put in and where to go and have a productive hunt for moose and caribou please share some ideas.

Thanks!! Tall Tarheel.

Default Yukon River

I can only speak to the areas east of the line but I know around the eagle area should not be much different then the canadian side. There was good moose hunting and you may even see a sheep on the Tatonduck. Can you hunt in the Yukon - Charlie rivers nation preserve?

Chuck

I put in at Circle last year and ran about 50 (river miles) miles upstream; very peaceful and beautiful place to hunt. We saw a ton of cows, linx, fox, grouse, hares, bears (griz and blacks), listen to a wolf pack take a calf, ducks, geese, and lots of other stuff, but no bulls. We spent 5 days up there and when we were fueling for the return trip in Central, got a lot of "you are pathetic losers" looks for not bagging a bull. We saw 6-10 full meat poles on the way back on the river. I don't know what we did wrong, but it is obviously (to everyone else) hunting nirvana. I will for sure go back. The river is super easy to run and camping stops are everywhere. The trip up is easy, but the last piece of road between Central and Circle is very slow going. The road was freshly graded, so the vibrations had us at about 15-20 mph only so that we did not slide off the road or vibrate the gear into little pieces. The launch at Circle is a good one, big and forgiving. The recovery is a little tough as the river is very fast, but nothing hairy, no rocks or white water just fast water. Pay close attention to the map as getting to the Yukon from Circle was a little tricky. I highly recommend it even though we were skunked losers.

Thanks alot for the info, that is something I well understand. We got a nice bull this year up the Taku River here in Juneau, but next year we will go north. I did not get a bull the last 2 years either, and we put alot of time in the woods. Thanks Again!!