Thread: Deckhand job

Default Deckhand job

Hi there

maybe this is the wrong place to put my thread however you guys might got the answer.

Im currently looking for a deckhand job in alaska. Could any of you provide a job bank link or forum where I can get further information.

thanks

What kind of deckhand job are you looking for?
    A commerical fishing one? a seasonal charter one? etc.
    I can probably point you in the right direction when it comes to charter fishing.....give me a heads up with what you really want.

-Ben

Just curious as i am not looking for a job but what does a deck hand on a good charter make a summer?

Quote Originally Posted by Stickle Back View Post
    What kind of deckhand job are you looking for?
    A commerical fishing one? a seasonal charter one? etc.
    I can probably point you in the right direction when it comes to charter fishing.....give me a heads up with what you really want.

-Ben
    well.. honestly I have no experience at all. So anything which is offshore would be alright for me, just not nothing like cleaning fish all day long. what is the difference between commercial and charter fishing?

Chao

Exclamation was that a "no" on fish cleaning?

if so might i suggest a lucrative advancement rich career at mickey D's.
    seriously, don't say "no" to anything if you want a deckhand job.
    charter or commercial, you get paid when you fish, but there is lots of "boatwork" that you have to do in order to fish....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Deck Hand

Most boats that charter and have deck hands are certified. I am guessing that they make between $75 to $100 per day plus tips. In 2007 I broke my ankle so I hired a deck hand. It cost me 10% of the net which was the gross minus fuel& bait plus all the tips. She would make between $250 to $300 a day in tips.

Default 2nd what Dave said...

From experience: 4 year deckhanding on a charter boat & 3 years deckhanding on a gill netter in Cook Inlet. Advice: delete the word "no" from your vocabulary. You will be asked to do some "challenging" things such as:
    1. Clean fish (often)
    2. Clean up puke (often)
    3. Clean/maintain boat (often): scrubbing bottom, trailer work, waxing gelcoat, oil changes (I've personally had to literally crawl on my back in the bottom of the bilge, contorting to crazy positions to change the oil which meant getting old diesel oil all over you; love the smell of diesel oil!)
    4. Clean porti-potti (my favorite)
    Learn to do all these things well & complete and with a good attitude; volunteer for the crappy jobs. Having a good attitude on a charter boat even on days when the fishing was lousy netted me hundreds of dollars in tips. Having a good attitude on a commercial boat netted me getting invited back the following years.
    Oh yeah, forget about sleeping too much during the fishing season too!
    Not trying to be pessimistic in any way but deckhanding is not for "white collar" guys; I absolutely loved those years, just not enough money for a married guy.
    Good luck, Jim
    PS---sounds crazy I know, but one of my favorite things to do is clean fish!

Lightbulb

I didnt mean to say no to do certain kind of jobs when I am recruitted onboard. In fact I dont mind cleaning shipboard, rooms, fish or anything else. What I meant is I am not looking for working on a huge ship and cleaning fish constantly 12-16 hours a day and 7 days a week in 2-3 months.

The job describtion you gave me Big jim is excatly kind of job I am looking for!!!! My next issue is that I am not an American citizenship holder but EU. Getting into US is no big deal but I might need some extra paperwork before I can get recruitted.

Default In that case Chaza...

All ahead full!
    Good luck!