Thread: 2 "New" Kodiak's

Default 2 "New" Kodiak's

Just got confirmation on the dates of 2 bows I bought yesterday. The new pride of my collection is a 1967 Michigan Kodiak hunter. The hunter was introduced in the summer of 1967 an I was born on July 1 1967. Its in great shape and a real shooter. The second bow is a 1975 Kodiak magnum, Tracy's birth year! It's in really good shape and a rocket!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I used to own a Bear Super Kodiak and i am very sorry i ever sold it!!

Once I add a bow to the family it stays and these where exactly the hunter and magnum I was looking for. A super K to round out the group will have to be added later.

Still looking for a 1967 golden sovereign mace if anyone bumps into one.

And a mid 60's lil' bear for Gunther.

Better give Tracy till after the first of the year............ hope I have enough arrows left!?!
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I've got a Bear Bearcat I bought in '64 or '65 while in high school. I got out of archery when I joined the Tonkin Gulf Yacht club and kind of put it out of my mind. 20 years ago I bought a Hoyt Easton 25# K-Bow for my son and I borrowed a friends wheelie bow. The wheelie just didn't do it for me and we just kind of quit shooting. 2 years ago while in Oregon I went on a 3D shoot with my brother in law, he asked if I wanted to just drink beer or if I wanted to shoot. I shot with him and his friends and really enjoyed it. I bought a PSE Impala when I got back to Alaska. Next trip to Oregon I went shooting with him and his friends again and he mentioned that he had my old bow. Wow, what a shock. I thought it had gone by the bye. It's a sweet shooter, but only 45# so I bought a Norm Johnson Blacktail at 58# to be able to hunt Moose. Now my 9 year old daughter shoots the K-bow. Like Rick P says, once in, never out.

The 1967 1/2 Grayling Michigan Kodiak hunter 58" AMO 42#. The riser is Seuda(?).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BHA Member

The 1975 Grayling Michigan Kodiak Magnum. The riser is 2 tone green "future wood" with a blue accent.
    BHA Member

Close up of the risers
    BHA Member

Default Wow

Those are really nice looking bows! To bad they messed up though and cut the shelves on the wrong side.

Default Love the

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    The 1975 Grayling Michigan Kodiak Magnum. The riser is 2 tone green "future wood" with a blue accent.
    Magnum's Rick. I've been shooting and collecting them for 2 years now. What a blast. I've got the 2 tone green in #45 and #50 with the green forearm? front end. Anyway still looking for the elusive #55. Straight shooting.................

The Magnum is definitely startlingly fast, accurate, and free of stacking. It is quickly becoming a front runner for big game in my collection. The 45# may just be the ideal "classic" small game bow.

For me thought the Hunter is a "holy grail" bow! The Hunter, Super and I where all born in the summer of 1967. The 67 1/2 is the only all natural wood Kodiak Hunter and one of the harder to find years. Think I'll skip on adding the 67 1/2 Super Kodiak also known as "the bowling ball" butt ugly, quality issues and outrageously valuable to collectors in mint condition. The 75 Super K on the other hand would look great in the Bear section.
    BHA Member

some 1960 Bear Kodiaks I own...

some 1959 Kodiaks as well....

I will hunt with a '59 Kodiak as well, 60", 53 #..... yep, those are Ed's Grizzly sticks too.

Seems I've seen those Kodiak's before Offer for coffee still stands!
    BHA Member

coffee sounds like a plan, let me know the time and place.

Thanks for coming over Rick and checking out the bows. Hope we get a chance to go hunting soon.

Your welcome Alaskabowhunter it was great having you walk me through some of your collection. The out building is nearly done so it won't be long till I'm back out hunting.
    BHA Member