Thread: Recurve arrow choice

Default Recurve arrow choice

Hello, I have been thinking lately that it would be fun to start shooting my recurve again. I have been hunting with my compound bow using gold tip carbon arrows for quite a while now, and have not even picked up my old recurve for close to 8 years.
    Back when I was shooting and hunting with my recurve I was using cedar shaft arrows with feather vanes. Is this still the norm when using a recurve? I plan on shooting it this year for fun, and getting out to try for some bunnies or grouse. Depending on how much practice I get in I may even try for moose or caribou with it. Would it be wise to hunt for big game with cedar shaft arrows or is there a better option.
    Thanks for any insight
    Brian

I don't think there reallis a "norm" for trad arrows anymore.
    I shot woodies for years & still love the smell of a freshly broken ceader arrow, but have gone to Grizzly Stick Alaskans because they are very consistent for me, are heavy without adding a bunch of junk, & don't break (remember I said I like the smell of a freshly broken ceader arrow???). In the end they are cheaper for me than woods.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I shoot gold tips.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Heavy is better....

Use any arrow you like (wood, aluminum, carbon). Just make sure that your arrows are heavy enough for you recurve bow. An arrow that is too light will not absorb enough of the bows energy. This could result in limb delimitation. General rule of thumb I follow is 10 grains of arrow weight for every pound of draw weight. This is also the minimum you need to achieve good penetration with a hunting arrow.

Also your arrows need to be feather fletched when shooting off a shelf. You will never shoot consistently with plastic vanes.

BTW: What make recurve are you shooting?

I like wooden arrows. They are pretty and have personality. the aluminums I shoot are a little more robust and easier to change tips. The wood are fun to make, but the aluminums are quick to assemble. I've seen several pictures of carbon shafts coming apart at the release and doing ugly things to the bow hand. I do a lot of trash shooting and won't take the chance on 'dinging' a carbon shaft. (though they do make nice targets at the 3D shoots)

I would recommend stripping the vanes off one of your Gold Tips and tinker with the correct forward weight to get good bareshaft flight. You could also trim some of the nock end off the shaft to make it stiffer if needed. Once you get the barshaft flying perfect then strip/trim the others to match and fletch them with feathers. Since your are returning to traditional gear you may want to keep one bare shaft to shoot periodically as a coach for your form. Reworking all your Gold Tips to match your recurve will save you money and also give you greater incentive to keep shooting the recurve .

I've got the arrow dynamics traditional heavies. Really like them, the wieght of wood but always straight, and you don't have to tune them.

http://www.raptorarchery.com/newstor...cts.asp?id=865

Arrow went clean through him. Big ole bore too..... Look up elite archery.... they make arrows like they are supposed to be made and very durable. Great price for hand made arrows.... 70 dollars a dozen of Extremly nice high quality arrows.

Default good info

Wow thanks for all of the good advice. I have been getting pretty excited about taking up the old recurve. It's not that I've been an overly succesful bow hunter and need the challege it's just the primative nature of long bows and recurves that has a certain appeal.
    Nice bear by the way. I told a couple of out of state friends that I was thinking of going black bear hunting next year with my recurve, and they think I'm nuts.

Blackies up here are really small compared to the ones I chased back in the UP and Ontario. Not a particularly impressive animal. Browns are a totally different story!

BTW Muskoxman and I shot together the other day, the arrow dynamics are incredible! His arrows penetrated at least 2-3 inches more than anyone else in our group of shooters, all using within 5 pounds of the same draw weight bows! I plan on ordering a half dozen grizzly stiks to compare them with then I'll switch to the ones that preform the best.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.