Thread: Skied Yet?

Default Skied Yet?

Anybody been out yet? Is there any good snow for down hill or for cross country??

No, I haven't. I've been stuck inside every night and weekends now for the past 10 days doing a remodel job. Meanwhile I keep hearing about the good snow.

From what I understand, Hatcher Pass has 2-3 feet in most places and a good enough base for making downhill turns if you don't carve too hard. I also heard that Turnagain was getting hammered last week sometime around Wednesday, though I haven't gotten the report yet.

haven't been out skiing, but was out south of girdwood last wed. when the snow came. it was 6+ inches or so of very heavy wet snow. on top of a nice layer of surface hoar, i wouldn't head out for a while unless on 30 degree or less slopes. CNF advisories are already up.

http://www.cnfaic.org/advisories/current.php

be careful out there at turnagain pass. there are some just under 30 degree slopes out there that make for some good turns. i plan on hitting those soon. have a great time out there!

Default Cool

Thanks for the update! Sounds like it would be worth while to wait a bit. Then again.....I might go....if I do I'll let you know how it is.

Manitoba Mountain was wonderful on Sunday, and from the number of tracks on the lower mountain it must have been a ski-fest there on Saturday. We saw only 6-8 others on the hill. Upper mountain snow was very good, several inches of nice powder. Kudos, too, to whoever trimmed branches along the approach road. No more losing your hat if you didn't duck low enough!

Here's a website with ski trail conditions, from all over the state.

http://www.crosscountryalaska.org/trails/index.php

Went x-c skiing the day after thanksgiving in Farth North Bicentennial. With the cold temps we've had earlier this winter the ground is well frozen and there was enough snow for a good covering. With the recent snow we've had it should be steller. I've also found that carrying a backpack stove and a titanium tea kettle is the perfect way to take a break by brewing up a pot of tea for everyone to enjoy.

We were supposed to go to Alyeska on Saturday, but for the life of me I can't find my downhill boots! I dug out everyones ski's, poles and boots sans mine and spent Saturday digging through the storage shed and organizing the garage. Still haven't found em!